Skin reaction

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
natsjhall

Skin reaction

Post by natsjhall »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, purely because I have this one question and I would like to share my experience I have had with this amazing drug :smile: .

For now - my question:
Has anybody had a skin (or under the skin) permanent reaction? I was always too scared 8O to rotate my injections too much and found that it was the easiest and less painful in my stomach and buttocks.

I rubbed my stomach for as long as I could after each injection but I think it was just the amount of times I injected in the same spot and the small amount of fat under my skin that caused my reaction. 2 years later I still have 'nodules' (almost like a cist) under my skin on either side of my belly button where I used to inject. These hard nodules under my skin have made my stomach look strange, almost like an indented line. :o

Has anybody had this and can anyone suggest something that could help soften them under my skin so they disappear?

Thanks everyone!
carolsue
Family Elder

Re: Skin reaction

Post by carolsue »

I believe that's "lipoatrophy" occurring. To my knowledge, it doesn't go away. I've also been told to avoid injecting into those spots. I also used my buttocks and belly but I rotated so that each region had at least 4 weeks of rest. I kept careful track of this, but it wasn't hard to do because I had long lasting red splotches that reminded me. If there's any fatty tissue on hips, you might add those areas to your rotation.
natsjhall

Re: Skin reaction

Post by natsjhall »

Hello, thank you so much. I Googled Lipoatrphy and it seems it fits the symptoms (apart from having HIV) Seems there are a few drugs but will have to ask my doctor. I am off Rebif now (have been for 2 years so no chance I can sort it out by rotating.) Thanks very much again.