cost of Rebif

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
lovelisaz
Getting to Know You...

cost of Rebif

Post by lovelisaz »

Is anyone having difficulty affording your rebif right now?
tcr1962

Post by tcr1962 »

So far my Rebif has remained at expensive but affordable levels, due to insurance. If I didn't have insurance right now I don't know what I'd do. There's no way we could afford the total cost (about $1600 per month, I think) and I'd be having to contact Serono/Pfizer/Merck or whoever and asking for some kind of assistance. Or maybe your chapter of the National MS Society would help. Don't know.

It is expensive. No doubt.
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Post by scoobyjude »

My payments have stayed the same since I just have to pay a co-payment through my insurance, thank God. You may also be able to try Partnership for Prescription Assistance if you are having difficulty. That is the organization that Montel Williams helps promote.
br_astronut

Post by br_astronut »

I am currently paying $2100 for the first 2 months and then $500 per month after that. I am on a high deductible insurance plan. I have not had a relapse in over 3 years and I just cant seem to justify that sort of expense since I seem to be doing well. I have on my own dropped my dosing of the 44mcg to once per week to lower the over all costs. I did not ask my doctor if that was OK. I have been doing this for about a year and it still have not had a relapse.

Has anyone else reduced the number of injections from 3 per week due to cost?
ursula
Family Member

Post by ursula »

Hi,

I can undrestand that you want to try to save some money - but this sounds more like a waste of money..!

They found out the right dose of the medication in many studies and I´m sure they found out that rebif once a week isn´t effective at all.
I would rethink it..
You probably know already why you didn´t want to tell your neuro?
br_astronut

Post by br_astronut »

I don't doubt that it might be a waste of money to inject only once per week. I feel that at least I am getting some protection. I did not want to talk to my doctor because I may find out that I may be worse than I feel and may have to go back to full dose.

I have decided to go ahead and see my doctor and talk with him about my situation, get an MRI and some blood work done. I concluded that running from the problem really is of no benefit.