Eye Issue

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
siren
Family Member

Eye Issue

Post by siren »

I'm having an attack on my left eye now :o(. The eye sight is dimmer and the contrast is bad. My doctor is away and would only be back next week. My predicament is wheather I should just straight away take prednisolone (I have my supply with me) rather than wait till my doctor is back or weather thru this relapz (not sure if it will get better tho :o( )
I hate taking prednisolone!!! Do you reackon if it's alright to stop Rebif for a while when I'm on prednisolone ?
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Siren, I'm sorry to hear you are having an attack. I know that they have tested interferon with prednisolone before and they are ok together. I also know that the effects of Rebif stay with you for several months after you stop taking it, so if you stop for a week, it should not make a difference. So it should be alright to stop Rebif for a short time if you want to.

I think it is probably a good idea to have a doctor assess your vision just to confirm what's going on. Can you see another doctor? Talk to somebody else at your doctor's office? Go to a walk-in medical clinic? Go to an emergency room?
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Post by scoobyjude »

I agree with Dignan. See if there is another doctor you can see. Best to be examined to make sure. I know that my neuro said it was safe to take steroids with Rebif in case you decide to but best to get that from someone who knows firsthand.
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

I took a round of steroids with with my Rebif and had no problems. As said before - I would see a Dr. for confirmation. Good luck.

CF
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
siren
Family Member

Post by siren »

I managed to talk to another doctor who advise me to start the predisolone so I'm on that now. So just waiting now for my weight to balloon up :( . I've also decide to stop Rebif for the time being till I finish my course of predisolone. The eye sight is not recovering as fast as I expected :?. Maybe I'm being paranoid ... *sigh* I get so work up every time a relapz strike.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I have been using prednisone for over 15 years. I was originally misdiagnosed with an auto-immune condition that first line treatment was prednisone. Some of my personal experience, which may help you, or mislead you. Remember, this is all my PERSONAL experience, not medical advice.

* A short HIGH pulse works better than a longer, lower dosage.
* The shorter "pulse" reduces the chances of many side effects such as "moonface".
* I personally do 75mg for three days, with no taper.
* A few years back, I tapered off Prednisone because I started Rebif. i.e. I was taking both together (as prescribed by my neuro)
* The prednisone actually greatly reduced the side effects of Rebif.

I hope they work for you.