Using Medical Marijuana

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Have you ever found marijuana useful for alleviating MS symptoms?

Has your doctor ever recommended you try marijuana for your MS
26%
Would you try medical marijuana if it was regulated?
74%

Total votes: 27

CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Using Medical Marijuana

Post by CureOrBust »

PrincessLeeya wrote:Medical marijuana is not yet legal in Australia :(
Have you checked with the TGA if Sativex is available with appropriate paperwork?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

UK Telegraph article

This one angers me. The mindset of those opponents of a drug that clearly brings symptomatic relief is enough to drive one to distraction if the spasticity did not do a good enough job. If the plant were legal in Mexico the murder rate would be reduced to 10% of current levels. It has been legal in many places for years, and this year Washington state joined them.

Aside from prohibition issues, the drug has gone through phase 3 trials for MS spasticity, and been accepted in the US, UK, and Canada, as Sativex. I take it. It works. I don't get high. I don't take the 12 sprays a day, as it might be addictive.

I think some people just like to say no. Probably makes their day.

A friend (with MS) BTW is desperately dependent on her Effexor, as she found out when the druggist made an error with dosage, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Must be because it's less fun, and takes away your sex drive. The Protestant Pain Ethic at work again.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

Prohibition of a drug that works is just so wrong but as long as it doesn't make big money for Big Pharma and subsequently big money for big Pharma's friends in government many in government will continue to push for the prohibition.

I am now allowed to legally possess MM in Canada and it helps with my spasticity, pain, balance issues and depression caused by my disability - don't know where I'd be with out it as I have received zero help from the medical profession.
I think that is partly due to my age and because I have SPMS. I am fully aware that ageism is well and alive in this province as my mother was a victim of it when she did not qualify for chemo with the breast cancer that eventually killed due to the cells metastizing through out her whole body so much to the point that when she had a PET scan 6 months before her death the cancer didn't show up as it had invaded her whole body and looked like a totally normal cell in her body.
I hope and pray that soon the day will be that MM is an accepted tool to help us all deal with chronic illnesses the world over.
Last edited by Azaeleaprawn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I originally tried Sativex to no avail. This past weekend I tried smoking a strain of MJ chosen for me based on it's usefulness for spasticity. BINGO. I would like to smoke the least I can to obtain the desired affects. Maybe pill form or brownies? Had intended to buy vapourizer if it worked. I will experiment with the amount I have to inhale to get relief. I would like to hear from others who have taken cannabis in pill form as it would be easy to take.

PS My Neurologist signed off on the MJ.
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

I am taking cannabis in pill form as smoking is not an option for me. It takes a while to take effect - 1/2 an hour to an hour.
It's a reduction mixed with grape seed oil in a capsule - helps me get a good night's sleep and really helps with spasticity in a way that doesn't leave me with the weak rubbery legs that I get from baclofen.
I also can get it as a baking powder, in baked goods, chocolates - gotta watch those they are soo good and a quarter of one is all it takes - very potent!
I didn't bother with the Sativex as I had heard that it wasn't very effective.
Some people I know use vapourizers with good results - may try it sometime but I definitely can't smoke it as I have a tendency to asthma.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Hi Azeal,

Can I ask how/where you get it in pill form as this would be so much more convenient for me than smoking? Even if it is less effective in this form.

Thanks, PN
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

I should have also added that I also put about 1 teaspoon of Indica to soak into a hot cup of cream of tomato soup for 5 minutes and then eat the soup and all. Takes about the same length of time to work - is a marvel for spasticity well with no other effects from it.
The capsule form was made up by me and a friend. It was a lengthy fiddly tiresome process ( mixing oil & MM & putting into capsules) and I'm not up for it right now that's why I have come up with the soup formula that really works for me.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Cool. Thx Az.
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
bananana
Family Member

Post by bananana »

MJ helps me with many different aspects of living with MS. It helps keep my stress low. It also improves my quality of life. It distracts me from how miserable it is to live with this disease. Not to mention how well it works to reduce my spasms.

Unfortunately I live in Louisiana, one of the most backward states in the US. We dont do medical MJ. We prosecute sick people who use it instead. I have a friend w/MS who got busted with a shipment from CA. The prosecutors were very aggressive and were threatening her w 5 yrs behind bars so she took a plea deal. 5 years probation. beats jail time, but now she cant use MJ. She's devastated. Its sickening. Why are sick people being treated like criminals? Who does that benefit? The real criminals are the ones who deny sick people relief from their suffering.

-b
leggo

Post by leggo »

After fifteen years of dealing with MS and spasm's , I get real relief from INDICA marijuana, not Sativa. Sativa causes anxiety for me. Leg spasms at night used to keep me awake untill 5-6 am every night. Indica gives me total relief with just one puff. Most times I can feel my legs "relax" before I exhale. It is the single biggest advance for symptom treatment I have found. I plan to try eating it next as well as a vaporizer. I grow my own medicine now, but it will be available in Ma. soon. :-D
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

@Leggo, do you happen to know the name of the SPECIFIC strain that is working for you? I've used only Indica-heavy strains and no luck. A mystery puff worked like magic, so I know my bud is out there somewhere.

PN
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
leggo

Post by leggo »

I am currently growing Afghan, I bought the seeds from Herbie's Head shop (online). Northern Lights is my next test, grow. I will try different stains until I find the "perfect" one for me. Some types tend to act like caffeine on me at bed time. I find the trick is to find the right measure of the right strain for me. Search around for info here if you like.
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/forum.php
I hope I don't sound like a heavy user, I just find it to really work well on spasm's. Good luck :mrgreen:
Last edited by leggo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

I mixed a bit of sour diesel that was given to me with my regular Indica MM prescription stuff today for some nasty back pain today and the pain which previously would send me for acupuncture , that pain just went away.
I swear by this stuff after all those horrible years of sleeping pills, opiates, gabapentin and lyrica - this is just too good to be true but it keeps working night after night and day after day with such a small amount and no after effects.
This needs to be legal everywhere for people with illness and pain.
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

This stuff really works for me

Marihuana Infused Oil Recipe (from http://mmchelp.ca/recipe_list.html)

Makes about 1 litre of infused oil.
During the cooking and straining process you can loose approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil.
What you need to make marihuana infused oil

Heavy duty pot with lid or crockpot
Rubber gloves
1 litre of Olive or Grape Seed Oil
2 ounces of dried marihuana
4 cups of water

Lint free cheese cloth
Large glass or plastic container
Wooden spoon
Electric coffee grinder

Process for making marihuana infused oil

Step 1 - Grind Marihuana

With coffee grinder, grind dried marihuana into a very fine powder; the finer the better.
This allows the THC to flow easily through the cooking process.

Step 2 - Cooking Process

Fill the pot with 4 cups of water.
Bring to a boil.
Stir in 1 litre of Olive or Grape Seed Oil.
While stirring add the finely ground marihuana.
Reduce to a gentle low heat setting.
Cook the oil solution on low heat for 10-17 hours.
The longer the solution cooks the better, yet, do not go over 17 hours as the oil might burn.
During the cooking time, make sure the oil has not reduced too much. If it has, it is important to add a little water to account for water loss.
After the cooking process is complete the oil solution needs to cool at room temperature for about 1/2 hour.
Once cooled pour the oil solution into container.

Step 3 - Straining Method

Place your container filled with the oil solution into the freezer.
Leave in freezer 4 to 5 hours, or until the solution has solidified.
A solid green jelly forms on top of the frozen solution. This is the infused Olive oil.
Take the container out of the freezer.
Start scooping out the “Green jelly” into a plastic or glass container. It is important to remove only the green oil.
You will find that the solution has layered during the freezing process, leaving the water on the bottom, dried marihuana in the middle and the oil on top.
The marihuana has now very little, if any THC left in the dried product. The THC has now been infused into the oil.
Remove all the green oil and place into your glass or plastic container.
Let it sit at room temperature, or place the container in a shallow sink of hot water. This will help the oil return to a liquid form.
Once the oil has returned to a liquid, you can start to strain it.
To strain the oil, place your cheesecloth over another glass or plastic container and pour the oil through the cheesecloth.
This will remove all sediments in the oil. Your oil is now ready to be packaged.
The oil can be poured off into 4 oz. bottles
You can also pour the marihuana infused oil into “gel capsules” for easy ingestion.

The oil is great for topical use. You can use the infused oil for baked products in place of butter (if your recipe calls for 1 cup of butter, use 1 cup of infused oil), and is great on salads.

The oil must not be left at room temperature for more than 30 days. Refrigerated, the oil will keep indefinitely. When the oil is placed in a cold temperature it will solidify; leave it at room temperature and it will return to a liquid form.

Thank you to David Macleod for taking the time to write this step by step recipe.

Please Note: * Amounts of marihuana ingested that will be most beneficial can vary from person to person. Start small and be patient until you find what works best for you.