Cannabis Compound Not Permitted in Supplements, FDA Warns

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Cannabis Compound Not Permitted in Supplements, FDA Warns

Post by NHE »

https://www.consumerlab.com/recall_deta ... llid=12916
On February 4, 2016, the FDA issued warning letters to eight companies selling products containing cannabidiol (CBD), a compound derived from cannabis (also known as marijuana). In the U.S., cannabidiol is not permitted to be sold as an ingredient in dietary supplements.

Unlike other compounds found in cannabis, such as THC, cannabidiol is not a psychoactive compound. Preliminary evidence suggests cannabidiol may modestly reduce anxiety, and certain measures of dystonia (a movement disorder) and glaucoma in some people (Health Canada 2013). In the U.S. cannabidiol has been authorized for investigation as a new drug for cancer pain and a rare form of epilepsy, Dravet's syndrome. Cannabidiol appears to be a controlled substance in Canada.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Cannabis Compound Not Permitted in Supplements, FDA Warn

Post by NHE »

The FDA's warning letters can be found at http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementAct ... efault.htm

The companies involved include...

ABC Productions
Dose of Nature
Green Garden Gold
HealthyHempOil.com
Michigan Herbal Remedies
Morguetorium, LLC
PainBomb
Sana Te
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I take and have been taking CBD oil for many months. Before I began using it, I did a lot of investigation and discovered there is really no regulation in the industry. I discovered there are many purity and other issues common with most CBD supplements including the amount of CBD containted within the product as well as contamination issues (pesticides/insecticides). The brand I ended up using, the ONLY one I would use based on the research I did is from a very reputable company, CW Botanicals out of Colorado. Their product, often referred to as "Charlotte's Web" , has received a lot of positive news coverage over the past few years. I have not had any issues and find the product is helping me with the pain I experience (it seems to reduce the severity and frequency of my episodes.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

by "episodes" are you specifically meaning relapses or being bothered by your existing symptoms?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have nerve pain that comes and goes through the day. Each episode can last 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours from start to end, starting very mild, building slowly in intensity it peaks, and then the slowly dissipating. I used to have 8-12 episodes a day (or more) with some of them extremely intense (painful enough to put tears in my eyes). Now I typically have 3-6 and the pain is a fraction of what it used to be.

I have been taking the CBD oil for about 6 month and it is probably too soon to know if there is any effect on relapses. And ultimately there would not be any way of me knowing if the CBD oil is preventing relapses as I have been free of new relapses for almost two years and am very proactive with many different therapies. But I do know that things improved for me within days of starting the CBD oil and I have experimented with the dosage and when I drop the dosage a bit, my symptoms worsen and get better as I increase the dosage back to the daily dosage that I find works for me.
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

I have been using cbd, and every other cannabinoid, and they are absolutely, positively, without a doubt working!!! Wow, peoples ignorance on the subject is resulting in so much unnecessary suffering of so many, including those of us with ms...so very unfortunate. The combination of cannabinoids is having a number of positive effects on my body...my hands go from weak and in a 'C' shape and cannot straighten them to being strong and completely straight. So strong that people can't push my fingers down (you know the test, the neuro does it). Are there other med's out there that can do that? Side-effects? When people can't straighten their fingers, what can they take or do? Is there anything?

Cannabinoids/marijuana/cannabis wipes away pain from spasms and pain from doing things in our daily lives...I'm talking real, serious physical pain. I was dealing with excruciating facial pain a couple of weeks ago and it totally relieved the pain. It helps so much.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

http://www.barbaraturnbull.org/barbara-story.htm

It has to be working on nerves. What's more it is working on nerves which have no voluntary control. I had an email exchange with Barbara Turnbull, who has since died. She told me she used to have whole-body spasms, which were obviously not in any way voluntary, since she could not move below the neck. After a very low dose of marijuana smoke (her description was "one puff") they would stop.

When I have had the cannabis under-the-tongue spray my piano playing (by ear) is noticeably better. This may sound subjective, but it also has been noticed by my wife, without any prompting. If you heard my playing at different times during the day you would see what a range of flexibility, accuracy and sense of time I go through as the day progresses, until it is not worth the effort.

With the spray, I can do more than I can at the best of times without it. I'm sure this is measurable, though it might only be measurable in musicians or people doing similar tasks. I have often thought musicians can be like coal-mine canaries, demonstrating the effect of different substances on fine motor-control. All that is necessary is to develop a standardized test, and you would have an easy way to test the effects of cannabis compounds.

Gene Krupa played much better when he used cannabis, and that got him in trouble, as a member of Benny Goodman's band in the 1930s and 1940s. He was a drummer. His like has not been seen since.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

I know what you mean about the fluency (we have better/more control of our fingers). I've noticed the same thing with typing...I go from hitting multiple keys at once to having control over my fingers. The level of control increases with higher doses... there is no doubt that the quality of life is improved and the better for it.

I want to do a test with that hand held device that you squeeze and gives your grip strength. I want to do it before and after I have mj meds and see what the difference is, then it's not subjective...think that would work for an experiment...?

The relief from extreme pain is real...I don't take anything else that can be attributed to the relief.