Cannabinoids reduce amyloid toxicity

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Cannabinoids reduce amyloid toxicity

Post by NHE »

Amyloid proteotoxicity initiates an inflammatory response blocked by cannabinoids
Aging and Mechanisms of Disease (2016) 2, 16012
  • The beta amyloid (Aβ) and other aggregating proteins in the brain increase with age and are frequently found within neurons. The mechanistic relationship between intracellular amyloid, aging and neurodegeneration is not, however, well understood. We use a proteotoxicity model based upon the inducible expression of Aβ in a human central nervous system nerve cell line to characterize a distinct form of nerve cell death caused by intracellular Aβ. It is shown that intracellular Aβ initiates a toxic inflammatory response leading to the cell's demise. Aβ induces the expression of multiple proinflammatory genes and an increase in both arachidonic acid and eicosanoids, including prostaglandins that are neuroprotective and leukotrienes that potentiate death. Cannabinoids such as tetrahydrocannabinol stimulate the removal of intraneuronal Aβ, block the inflammatory response, and are protective. Altogether these data show that there is a complex and likely autocatalytic inflammatory response within nerve cells caused by the accumulation of intracellular Aβ, and that this early form of proteotoxicity can be blocked by the activation of cannabinoid receptors.
Free full text
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Cannabinoids reduce amyloid toxicity

Post by 1eye »

Probably the best way to clear the toxic amyloid beta from your brain is enough REM sleep. I am happy when I get enough REM sleep because if I do, I dream. I think that is an indication of the back-flush that you need, to clear toxins from your brain. I always remember a dream if a) I have had enough sleep and b) I woke up still dreaming.

Does cannabis help the back-flush? I can only take sativex before bed anyway, because it makes me dizzy.

This morning I woke up from a dream where I had been playing a concert with the Incredibly Strung-Out Rubber Band. We were trying to remember our opening-closing song, the Mickey Mouse Club Theme Song. If you PM me I will send you a recording of it. For a sample of my former guitar playing ability, see

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4KgSI ... ef=2&pli=1
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)