Advice on what to buy at dispensary

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
Lynn62
Family Member

Advice on what to buy at dispensary

Post by Lynn62 »

Advice on what strain, dose and symptoms are helped from your use of medical marijuana please. Dispensaries are finally opening in Maryland and I have no idea what to buy! Also, what method do you find helpful? (pills, oil vape pens, etc) Thank you!

Dx RRMS 1990
took Avonex for 15 years
Dx SPMS 2013
started LDN 3 mg. 11/2013
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Advice on what to buy at dispensary

Post by ElliotB »

This is from a post I made recently here on TIMS on a similar topic:

From what I have read,in general CBD seems to be more for reduction of inflammation and THC products are more for pain reduction, BUT some claim CBD is also very effective for pain, so it makes sense to try both individually and together. There are so many options as there are so many strains, especially of THC. But not all THC strains best are considered best for pain reduction.

'Some' say that CBD helps reduce pain - Others that it is the THC. And others say you need both CBD and THC together for best results. Personal trial and error is really the only way to know for sure what will work best for what you are trying to treat as different people seem to get different results from the same strains and products.

There are many, many different strains of THC and all seem to have slightly different attributes as to what they do best, again trial and error is really the only way to know for sure which will work best for what you are trying to treat. For THC strains, Indica strains seemed to be more helpful with pain. REMedy seems to be a popular CBD strain, which some say is excellent for pain and also the reduction of inflammation.

The main/common CBD strains seem to be REMedy and Haleigh’s Hope (HHO).

LEAFY.COM is a pretty good site for doing research on the attributes of the various strains. Yet there are other sites and strain attributes vary a bit from site to site and person to person - trial and error is really the only way to know for sure which will work best for your issues.

This site also had a lot of info about the various strains available:

https://medicalmarijuanahelp.com/strains/

This article titled "THC vs. CBD: Which is better for pain?" may be of interest:

https://herb.co/2017/02/20/better-pain-relief-thc-cbd/

Additionally, Medical Marijuana comes in numerous delivery methods, with the most popular being, vape pens, nebulizers, oils/concentrates/ and capsules. Typically the vapors are considered the best delivery method and fastest acting. Oils/concentrates should be taken subliminally if possible for best results. The active ingredients in capsules obviously go through the digestive tract and according to the literature I received "Oral administration also alters the chemistry of therapeutic ingredients by “first pass” metabolism in the digestive tract." I have called the company and have been unable to get clarification on this statement. FWIW, capsules also supposedly provide the longest relief time wise, perhaps as much as double or more time as compared to vapors which typically give 2-3 hours of relief.
Lynn62
Family Member

Post by Lynn62 »

ElliotB Thank you for the info. I figured this will be a lot of trial and error. I hope I can try some things that have worked for others with MS to help speed up the trial and error time!

Dx RRMS 1990
took Avonex for 15 years
Dx SPMS 2013
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I did a lot of research prior to trying any of the products and found that like just about everything that is claimed to help those with MS, some people are helped and some are not and what works for one may not work for another. Please let us know what you end up trying and the results you achieve - best of luck! I have had limited success (dealing with a lot of nerve pain).

What type of products do you have access to? Florida has made CBD products available to all that qualify (many different illness including MS) and THC products [unfortunately] only to the most severe/terminal cases such as cancer patients.
Lynn62
Family Member

Post by Lynn62 »

I don't know what products the dispensary will have but I hope to find out soon. So far I only had a consultation there (2 months ago) before they got product. Maryland has been very slow getting their medical marijuana up and running.

Dx RRMS 1990
took Avonex for 15 years
Dx SPMS 2013
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

There's also Charlotte's Web.

https://www.cwhemp.com/

Their products use two different extraction methods, isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and CO2.

From my prior communications with CW Hemp...
Our products have different extraction methods for certain products. The extraction
methods of each product are listed below.

The first extraction method is Isopropyl Alcohol Extraction (IPA-a class 3 solvent;
food grade) This is our original method of extraction, and creates a unique
phytochemical profile that we want to preserve. (For people like Charlotte)

The products that use IPA extraction are:
Everyday MCT
Everyday Plus MCT
Everyday Advance MCT/Olive Oil
Coffee

The second extraction method is Co2 extraction. This process is a newer method that
we are pursuing because of increased efficiency in CBD extraction from the plant, as
well as operational efficiency. This process has a phytochemical profile that is
different than the IPA process and also has a milder flavor.

The products that use Co2 extraction are:
Everyday Olive Oil
Everyday Plus Olive Oil
Capsules
CW Paws
Vape Pens
Gel Pen
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Charlotte's Web is extracted from hemp, Medical Marijuana is extracted from cannabis. Is there a difference? Probably. I could not tell you what the difference is and I am not even sure how to find out. Anyone know?

Apparently the dispensaries in Maryland are sold out (sold out within 2 days of opening) so there may be a bit of a wait for you before you can get the product(s) you want.
Lynn62
Family Member

Post by Lynn62 »

Yes unfortunately the dispensary I am near and registered with has less product than they thought they would get. I will have to keep waiting.....

Dx RRMS 1990
took Avonex for 15 years
Dx SPMS 2013
Lynn62
Family Member

Post by Lynn62 »

NHE
I do use CWHemp oil. It can be ordered online because the THC content has to be below a certain limit (I forget what limit). Dispensaries will probably have CBD oils with higher THC content. I definitely don't want to get high but my marijuana doctor said I need both CBD and THC working together so I should look for a high CBD low THC content product.

Dx RRMS 1990
took Avonex for 15 years
Dx SPMS 2013
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Dispensaries will probably have CBD oils with higher THC content."

This is unlikely IF CBD is available - usually there are options as to the THC content. Here in Florida, the 'real' CBD that is available has virtually no THC but there are 1:1 options (not available unless you have a terminal illness).
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

I joined the MS club four months ago. My main symptom was pain from pulmonary emboli. It's under control with meds but now I'm dealing with tremor in my dominant hand. I can control it when focused. But when resting my hand flops like a fish on a hook. My family is from Colorado and I visit Colorado Springs once or twice a year. In fact I was visiting family in Colorado when I had my first attack of vertigo.

So smoking gives the most effect, more than edibles? As far as CBD I see yes and no as to whether it helps. I've read raw MJ added to a smoothie doesn't work. It has to be activated by heat? I don't think I could smoke. Even as a kid in the '70s I never inhaled. So if I want to try it I need to go with edibles?

With my luck someone would see me leaving the dispensary in Ft Collins and radio the highway patrol in Wyoming.

kaypeeoh
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"So smoking gives the most effect, more than edibles?"

Depending on the method used to take the medication, typically the difference is in how long it takes for the medication to start working and the duration it lasts. The company I purchase from states that medication from capsules can be effected by digestion and that inhalation (of vapor oil) is the most beneficial way to take the medication for fastest, best results. I have been unable to get specifics from them as to exactly what changes through digestion, it is in their literature but none of the people at the dispensary have an answer.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I found this info from the Curaleaf Dispensary website:

WHAT CONSUMPTION METHODS ARE AVAILABLE TO ME?

Inhalation is the fastest-acting method of administration other than intravenous injection. When inhaled, the active ingredients of Cannabis pass directly into the bloodstream from the lungs. Peak blood levels are achieved within 5-20 minutes and the pharmacological activity is typically over within 3 hours.

Vaporizers are the preferred method for rapid relief of inhalation without the toxic and carcinogenic by-products of smoking. In a vaporizer, Cannabis heats to a point below combustion (390°F or 200°C) where the therapeutic ingredients are released in a mild, smokeless vapor that is readily absorbed by the lungs.

Oral administration is a slower-acting method because the active ingredients of Cannabis must pass through the gastrointestinal tract during digestion before entering the bloodstream. Pharmacological effects occur in 30-90 minutes. Oral administration also alters the chemistry of therapeutic ingredients by “first pass” metabolism in the digestive tract.

Sublingual forms are administered under the tongue and may be faster acting than edibles as the medicine is absorbed into the blood through the mucosal membrane in the mouth.

Topical forms are typically used as creams or lotions to treat localized pain and discomfort, delivering active ingredients to the bloodstream through the skin.
Lynn62
Family Member

Post by Lynn62 »

This is what I got at the dispensary so far:

Dixie Mixed Berry tablets (half thc half cbd)

Dixie Vanilla Tincture (half thc half cbd)

Lemon Skunk vape oil cartridge (hybrid mix 70%thc)

Ace of Spades vape oil cartridge (indica 70%thc)

I am experimenting with each product and different doses so it will be a long process. So far, nothing great but I do notice some pain relief, some leg stiffness/tightness relief when going down steps and better mood.

Dx RRMS 1990
took Avonex for 15 years
Dx SPMS 2013
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"I am experimenting with each product"

Have you had any success?

I just started using CBD from a vape pen a few days ago and I seem to be getting improved results over the regular oils. Still experimenting as well and it will likely take a couple of weeks to figure things out.