Betaseron overseas?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Betaseron
surfbird
Family Member

Betaseron overseas?

Post by surfbird »

Has anyone living in the US ever had to order Betaseron while traveling overseas? If so, how did you get it in another country? Is it cheaper in Europe? I called Betaseron and they said they only thing to do would be to have it shipped to someone in the US and they can personally ship it to wherever I am overseas, but I don't want to ask someone to take the responsibility for $4K worth of medication and making sure it gets 1/2 way around the world to me. I feel like Bayer/the pharmacy should be able to do it!
jiaoning

Re: Betaseron overseas?

Post by jiaoning »

I had to choose between moving abroad and staying in the US to continue using Betaseron. I think I looked into every option, but my insurance company would only do a 3-month vacation override and after that it would mean having someone personally ship it every month - also never got a clear answer from customs where I was moving as to whether it would pass through customs quickly or not as it is sort of a 'strange' thing to be shipping.

It's not cheaper anywhere in the world, either. At least, that's what I found out.

Sorry, this was my experience. Maybe your insurance company would be able to give you a larger supply to take with you...

Best wishes to you.
surfbird
Family Member

Post by surfbird »

Thanks for my response! It's been a while since I posted that and since posting, I've figured out the only solution is to carry it with me. I was able to get my insurance company to give me a 6 month override, so I'll be set for a while. I've done a lot of research and everything shows that it is illegal to ship the medication from the US to another country, and most countries will not allow prescription medication to pass through customs.

The only other alternative would be to get a prescription from a doctor in the country you are staying and fill the prescription in that country, but no US insurance company will help you pay for that.

It shouldn't be so hard!

Has anyone seen Sicko? Could I go to Canada and get free Betaseron if I become a resident there? :)
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

surfbird wrote:Thanks for my response! It's been a while since I posted that and since posting, I've figured out the only solution is to carry it with me. I was able to get my insurance company to give me a 6 month override, so I'll be set for a while. I've done a lot of research and everything shows that it is illegal to ship the medication from the US to another country, and most countries will not allow prescription medication to pass through customs.

The only other alternative would be to get a prescription from a doctor in the country you are staying and fill the prescription in that country, but no US insurance company will help you pay for that.

It shouldn't be so hard!

Has anyone seen Sicko? Could I go to Canada and get free Betaseron if I become a resident there? :)
Are you sure. I regulary travel through Saudi Arabian, Qatar and Uk customs without any problems (i use rebif)
surfbird
Family Member

Post by surfbird »

oops - i meant customs at the post office/shipping facilities, not at the airport. from what i understand you can go through customs at the airport with medication, no problem.

Return to “Betaseron”