An icy subject

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Betaseron
Kamy

An icy subject

Post by Kamy »

I just started my betaseron treatment about a week ago. I've taken 4 shots so far and I am much happier with it compared to avenox. My side effects are almost unnoticable. I'm a little tired, thats it. Avenox made me ill for 2 days!
So here's my question: My beta nurse suggested that I ice the injection site before and after. I did so with the 1st two shots in my legs and 1 in my stomach. The other 1 in my stomach, I didn't. The 3 that were iced hurt more (I felt a stinging feeling) and both legs bruised but not my stomach. They bled a little as well. The 1 I didn't ice, was completely painless (no sting at all) nor did it bleed or bruise. Is it possible that the ice makes it worse? More uncomfortable? Do I have to ice the area at all?
Kamy
Niko
Family Elder

Post by Niko »

I've learned to ice for about 20 seconds. But like everything with this disease, everyone is different!

I wish you well with Betaseron. I've been on it since 2002.

- Niko
"Avoid making irrevocable decisions when tired or hungry." -- Robert Heinlein
JFH
Family Elder

Post by JFH »

Kamy

Are you using the autoinjector? I dont think I could do without!

I've found that I a jab just after my shower when my skin has absorded water and is even flabbier! :( is best for me. I dont use ice or isopropyl swabs. As long as I miss a vein I dont bruise either.

Good luck with the therapy.
John
I am what I am
Kamy

So I've done a few more now....

Post by Kamy »

Ok the ice is definately not a good thing for me. Not sure why but its true, everyone is different. I haven't tried the "right after I shower" idea but I will and I am definately using the autoject! Its great. I've injected in all areas and without ice is alot better. My legs are the only place I have to be extremely careful with. I have to relax alot or I bruise a little or have alot of soreness and possibly a knot. I think I've come up with a theory:
If someone plucks your ears, it hurts. If you're outside in very cold weather and your ears are icy and someone pluck them, it hurts alot more!

So far, so good!
Kamy
breeze

Post by breeze »

I use the autojet. Before injection, I warm the area with a warm wash cloth, then inject. Using the warm cloth, I then gently massage. This works for me. The only reason you bruise, would be if you hit a vein.
Hope this helps. GWG Breeze
[/u][/quote][/url][/list][/list][/code]
Slumby
Family Member

I use a heating pad

Post by Slumby »

Before and after injection, i use a heating pad, thanks to this thread. Years ago, when i was taking Avonex, I used ice. But now, I think of using ice and I think of a frozen, hard chicken cutlet. Cold makes muscles tighten, heat relaxes.
A nurse advised me to move around after injecting to disperse the medicine. So, i move for awhile, Then rub it in.

Return to “Betaseron”