symptoms with food intake

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
sbr487
Family Elder

symptoms with food intake

Post by sbr487 »

Folks,

Before I post, let me give some background. In my last 16 years with MS, I have seen that during days when I change travel I generally tend to get less symptoms. The moment I settle down and continue with my routine work, I see that symptoms slowly come back. I have always felt the reason could be due to better body exercise and relaxed mind.

I started thinking whether this is all due to lack of food (generally i hardly eat when i travel). Now the moment I am back to routine which generally also equals to having food, the symptoms return back.

I really dont know but this is one thing that I can logically connect to. The other thing I can connect to is good exercise. But I am ruling it out completely since I exercise religiously (thats been an MS) and have not seen such a relief.
mattalleng
Family Member

Post by mattalleng »

Food seems to definitely play a role when it comes to MS, certain foods are known to cause inflammation which is believed to be one of the root causes of MS symptoms. I wrote an article on my blog today about the anti-inflammatory diet and how certain foods can cause inflammation and make symptoms worse, here's a link, you might find it interesting:

http://mattsms.blogspot.com/2010/09/ant ... tiple.html
http://www.mattsms.com<br />
KikiT
Family Member

Post by KikiT »

I have noticed this also, I feel much better when I do not eat. I can't put my finger on it. Have tried gluten free, no difference.
When I eat pizza, which is rarely, I hurt so badly during the night and next day. Also, any sweets overdone, pain all over during night.
I now try to stick to a low histamine diet, which is anti-inflamatory...but still feel better when I skip a meal totally. I am glad you have noticed this too, can't seem to find a pattern. Thanks , thought I was crazy.
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

Until I read this post, I never really thought about it. But on holidays when I am busy or not able to eat my regular foods I feel stronger. I had some blood work done and it seems that I have a dairy allergy which I wasn't aware of. On trips or holidays I only use dairy in my coffee, at home I always have a glass of milk, cheese, yogurt and things like that.

So, now to see if eliminating dairy at home will bring some relief. Maybe the stress of everyday life plays a role as well.