I can't believe how good linseed makes me feel!

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
tzootsi
Family Elder

Re: I can't believe how good linseed makes me feel!

Post by tzootsi »

Here in the USA, ground flax seed can be found at most well stocked supermarkets or health food stores. Bob's Red Mill is the easiest one to find. We sprinkle it on cereal and pasta. We've also just started using chia seeds, which supposedly are even better than flax seed!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Another option is to buy whole flax seed and grind it yourself. I can get a pound of whole brown organic flax seed from my local health food store for about $1.80. Over time, the savings over getting Bob's Red Mill has more than paid for my grinder. I use a KitchenAid coffee grinder that takes 4 oz (½ cup) at a time and turns it into nicely ground flax seed in 10 seconds. I can grind a whole pound in just a few minutes.

Anyway, if you do get Bob's Red Mill ground flax seed, then only purchase it from a store that keeps it refrigerated. Ground flax seed, as well as flax seed oil, needs to be kept refrigerated or it will go rancid.

NHE
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

I don't believe a sealed cello bag of ground flax seed can go rancid unless it's very old. Once it's open however, it should be refrigerated.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

at my place the whole flax is in the freezer, with both whole and ground flax in the fridge. not that either would likely be around long enough to go rancid, even if left out!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Okasan
Getting to Know You...

Post by Okasan »

You can buy them from supermarkets and health food stores. They are cheap amd I don't think it matters whether they are golden or brown. The fresher the better so vacuum packed is good. The taste does vary so try a few. And yes, soak overnight and chew them in the morning, I find a 3-4 teaspoons is plenty.
Gave it a break because I got forgetful, but the benefit to my day reminds me to do it. :smile:
razz

Post by razz »

Hi Folks,

Do you think it matters if the seeds are taken in the morning or at night before bed?

Also though of soaking the seeds, and then once soaked grinding them, so more of the good nutrients can be absorbed, though?

Cheers,
razz
Stillhaha
Family Member

Post by Stillhaha »

The flaxseed meal that I mix into smoothies stays in the refrigerator until I need it. It's my preferred source of omega 3.