Wahls diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
samish
Getting to Know You...

Dr. TerryW ahls diet

Post by samish »

Does anyone follow Dr. Wahl diet? She cured herself of SMS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, if you use forum search and filter on posts as opposed to topics, you can see all previous discussion of dr terry wahls here at TIMS

from a quick glance i don't see anyone talking about being on her diet.

personally, among other things i do eat cruciferous veg frequently, but i did that anyway.. can't recall off the top of my head what her other recommendations were.

TTFN!
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

When I was first diagnosed last year, my neuro told me that diet had absolutely nothing to do with anything and to not worry about it. "Eat whatever you want," he said. Fortunately, I did not really listen to him and started up on the SWANK diet immediately. I've been feeling great, and while it's difficult to say that the diet is the only factor contributing to my better health, it's equally difficult to dismiss the benefits. It's becoming increasingly clear that diet has everything to do with it, and it's wonderful to see more doctors paying attention to diet. As Wendell Berry wrote, "People are fed by the food industry, which pays no attention to health, and are healed by the health industry, which pays no attention to food."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

agree. traditional knowledge: food and medicine (as well as a few other things) are inseparable :) to misquote the man in black, 'anyone who says differently is selling something'
lyndacarol
Family Elder

News item on Dr. Terry Wahls

Post by lyndacarol »

Do you remember the case of Dr. Terry Wahls posted here some time ago?

http://wildhorse.insinc.com/directms05oct2009/

A dear friend who lives near Iowa City sent me this link to a story on Dr. Wahls; I found the information that she has set up a clinical trial to begin in two weeks very interesting. Perhaps there are people here who are close enough and interested to participate.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/97010634.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

nice article LC :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

How on earth can a person be expected to eat the amount of food she says she consumed in a day?! It sounds like a lot.

I like the idea of fixing your body with what you eat and exercise. I just wonder if you can do those things before you get progressively weaker?

How about the swank dieters? how are you guys doing?!
Andie
Family Member

I love Dr. Wahls

Post by Andie »

I saw Dr Wahls on her tour and it is very hard to dispute her physical improvements..

I was very impressed with her knowledge and determination and I indeed have followed a lot of her advice on nutrition and I have found a big improvement in my energy..

Andie

I have recently limited sugar, no gluten, consumed mass amounts of kale, very closely monitored fats-- I figure what is there to lose?
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

Andie,

can you pm the type of weekly diet/ meals that you eat? I suck at organising that kind of stuff and need all the help I can get..

Even a link of some sort would be good.

Has your MS affected your mobilty? has it improved since your diet has changed?
Selmahope
Family Elder

kale

Post by Selmahope »

How does one consume that much Kale/vegtables-doesn't she mentun 9 cups/ day? Can you juice it?
Andie
Family Member

Kale

Post by Andie »

my juicer won't juice Kale-- maybe a better machine can but it's very dry.. something I read said to start with making a blended drink with kale and pears and apple juice-- that wasn't too bad but the kale is sorta lumpy and I found it easier to just eat the kale raw but I put a dressing on it to help cover the taste.. it doesn't taste great I will be the first to admit that.

Andie
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

At Dr. Terry Wahls's website (http://www.TerryWahls.org) I recently subscribed to her newsletter. I got the first information today and thought you might find the details of her case interesting, too.

http://casesjournal.com/content/2/1/7601

I found her mention of eating of 600 grams of cruciferous vegetables daily (which includes kale) intriguing because I recently read that kale contains a substance that detoxifies the liver. If we broaden the Metabolic Syndrome Hypothesis, perhaps we can accept that her diet is working on the liver (as well as the mitochondria, as she believes). The diet she describes would also be reducing insulin levels.

From the article, I have to say it sounds as though her diet is the more effective element (more so than the electrical stimulation of the muscles – although that must help improve muscle tone) in attaining her improvements; with her diet she observed improvements in muscles that had not been electrically stimulated.

Interesting, don't you think?
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

Thanks for that LC.

This is the weekend we clear the junk and gluten etc and go on her diet. WE have been trialling some of her food recipes over the week and actually liked them! It's organising a packed lunch for when my husband is not home that will present some challenges.
Eating kale has not been difficult for us as we roasted in in the oven as per her recipe...it was delicious!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

We also follow her diet to some extent - lots of broccoli, kale, cabbage. Kale actually grows like a weed in our garden! It's very tasty sprinkled with olive oil & salt then broiled on a cookie sheet. The ONLY concern I have is that kale is very high in vitamin K, a blood clotting agent - how does this fit in with CCSVI???
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

That's a very good question.
However until someone answers that I am going to continue with the diet..the food terry wahls recommends is good for you. I also love broiled kale:-)