Low Carb?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
desmalia
Family Member

Low Carb?

Post by desmalia »

I've been looking into what sort of diet changes I need to make, and am considering going low carb. I've done Atkins in the past and don't want to go as extreme as the induction phase of that. Something more along the lines of meat, some fats, lots of veggies on the low-mid-glycemic range some occasional fruit, and skip starches and sugars (including the artificial stuff) altogether. When I eat a normal diet, I am intolerant to dairy and eggs. But when I eat low carb I can have both. So my hope is that I could add a bit of them back in eventually.

I came across this article a while ago:
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diet-for-ms.html
It seems to back up what I have been thinking.

This time around I need to do this carefully. I need only non-hormone-fed beef, which means buying a large amount from a farm. And also non-medicated chicken, which we've found a supplier for now. Good veggies are tough here as we don't really have decent produce markets. But I'll have to make due as that's not going to change any time soon.

When I got my diagnosis back in February, the first thing I did (impulse buy!) was buy the Swank Diet book. I've looked through it and can certainly see why it's a good healthy diet. However, I have a problem with low blood sugar that requires I have more protein than that on a daily basis. I also find that the recommended oils give me wicked acid reflux that lasts for days.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else here is doing anything along the low carb lines and what your experience is with it relating to your health and your symptoms. Thx.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

desmalia – Diet is a major topic of discussion here; there is even a forum devoted exclusively to Diet.

There are many diets which are designed for MS and are essentially low-carb; among these is the book, The Gold Coast Cure, by Andrew Larson, M.D. and wife Ivy Ingram Larson. Also, look into the diet and her story on the website by Dr. Terry Wahls (http://www.terrywahls.org/).
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Whoops! I forgot where I was.

Return to “Diet”