Is dairy really bad for you?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
ffjosh

Is dairy really bad for you?

Post by ffjosh »

I work out and love dairy foods. I also have protein powders that contain dietary protein in it. Are these bad?

Also I take creatine which I hear is good for MS patients. Any info on that?
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Re: Is diary really bad for you?

Post by daverestonvirginia »

When you are new to MS, I believe it takes a while to learn about MS and the things people do when confronted with the desease. So you are asking a simple question, is dairy bad for someone with ms? But I can not give you a simple answer. First I would ask is diet going to be part of your fight against ms? How about meds? How about supplements?

If you have just been dx you have some time do the research decide what you want to do.

I was dx six years ago. I decided to go with the best bet diet, copaxone and supplements, in others words do everything I could think of. Six years later I feel great.

So as part of the best bet diet I eat no dairy at all, like you I use to love dairy, dairy is great cheese, ice cream, yogurt, but I wanted to be able to walk.

To answer one of your other questions, a work out quite a bit, ride my bike 25-30 miles at a time lift weights. But as you will find out ms seems to effect everyone just a little bit differently so you have to fine what works for you. Good Luck, Dave
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Is diary really bad for you?

Post by jimmylegs »

dairy is fatty and pro-inflammatory so if you want to keep it in your diet, you might want to limit serving size and frequency, and also boost anti-inflammatory foods to compensate. let's say a cup of milk is mildly inflammatory, score -85. patients with inflammatory conditions have to get up to more like +150 for the day overall (healthies aim for +50 or higher). visit www.nutritiondata.com and start plugging in some of the foods/serving sizes you are used to in a day's food intake, into the search engine, and then at the specific food's detailed page, you can see what the IF rating is and start to get a picture of whether you're personally on track in terms of IF rating, or not.
hth :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Is dairy really bad for you?

Post by CureOrBust »

I love dairy but avoid it, for the most part :oops: . I have not noticed anything personally bad from it, but I will run with the general consensus on this one.

However, I did try adding ISO Whey Protein to my diet (mixed in Soy Milk) in the hope of building my strength. This in my diet did cause me issues, and I found I did better without it.

I think different people will/do react to things differently.
ffjosh

Re: Is dairy really bad for you?

Post by ffjosh »

thanks for the advice. I drank milk till about a week ago and feel fine. I never changed any of my eating habits and all my symtons when about 90% away. Guess im the lucky one.\

I do plan on trying to eliminate everythign i can though

Return to “Diet”