Fat/gluten connection

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Fat/gluten connection

Post by lyndacarol »

First of all, let me admit that I watch entirely too much TV.

Next, I was watching "America's Test Kitchen" yesterday when store-bought tortillas were reviewed. The evaluation was also on their website:

"The higher the percentage of fat, the more we liked the tortilla. First, fat adds flavor (our winner, at 9 percent, was called “slightly rich” and “buttery”). Second, a higher percentage of fat helps produce a more tender yet flaky tortilla by reducing gluten development."

I have never before heard that fat reduces gluten development. Could the emphasis on fat reduction in today's Standard American Diet be contributing to a higher exposure to gluten and consequent gluten intolerance? Even celiac disease? Seems possible to me; just thinking out loud.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
hollymm86

Re: Fat/gluten connection

Post by hollymm86 »

That is a really interesting idea, I will have to say that I tried the gluten free diet (due to digestion issues) for about a yr and my mri results were fantastic, as if i had gone back in time!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Fat/gluten connection

Post by jimmylegs »

I bet if you had tested your zinc levels before and after your gluten free stuff, you would have had seen an improvement :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.