The Dr. Fuhrman Diet

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

The Dr. Fuhrman Diet

Post by NHE »

Has anybody used Dr. Fuhrman's diet? Has it helped your MS?

I eat considerably less sugar now than I used to and eat more of the foods Dr. Fuhrman recommends, but I haven't seen any effect on my MS symptoms.

Here are links to his videos...

3 Steps to Incredible Health

Immunity Solution

ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: The Dr. Fuhrman Diet

Post by ElliotB »

I am not familiar with Dr. Fuhrman's diet so can't comment on it. But please consider that there are many MS diets available that are designed for those with MS and proven to help many with MS. You may want to consider one of those over Dr. Fuhrman's diet which seems to be more for the general public.

Discussions of those diets can be accessed here:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/diet-f9/
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

;)

active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
kw202
Family Member

Post by kw202 »

This is an old thread, but replying just in case it's useful for someone.

I followed a "what works for me" version of Dr. Fuhrman's plan for about a year before the words "MS" were waved anywhere near me. So, for what that's worth in terms of efficacy as an MS fighter...

That being said, it's very close to a lot of the MS diets, depending on which ones you're comparing. The most strict version of it (it's basically a 6-week jump start, after which time you can add in a bit more of the "less desired" foods if you want) tracks pretty closely with the basic premises of a lot of the MS diets, primarily: Loads of whole foods, primarily non-starchy vegetables, fruits and beans/legumes. And very little to no starchy vegetables (like corn), meat, dairy, refined sugars, potato, oils and grains (especially refined grains - if you must eat bread or pasta, make it whole grain). It's basically vegan with some wiggle room for "every now and then" "restricted foods." Meat and dairy wasn't completely restricted, especially once you were done with the 6-week jump start, but it was to be very limited - his whole thing was that meat should be like a condiment, not the main event. (Think maybe some bacon crumbles on your salad, but not a whole steak.)

I think on the whole it's a very complimentary system and I still use it in my daily life. I combine it with the Jelinek plan, which doesn't limit grains, but I do anyway because I think Fuhrman's information about grain risk is solid. About the biggest difference is I've added in much more fish, and I've started eating a bit more bread and a lot more sweet potato because put together, in the absence of grains and potatoes, a mashup of the two diets is quite limiting. And of course, I did not supplement at all, but I do now.

He has a great recipe for a smoothie that I have every morning - a good way to get your greens in at breakfast time. It's basically: 4c baby spinach, 1/2 banana, 2oz vanilla soy milk, 2oz pomegranate juice, 1c frozen fruit of your choice, plus some flax seed, and enough water to thin it out to your taste, all blended up.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Dr. Fuhrman's End Dieting Forever.

In this talk Dr. Fuhrman discusses how diets high in animal protein raise insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) and increase the risk of cancer and mortality. This suggests that diets rich in protein, such as the Paleo Diet, may not be ideal.