15 years of chicken nuggets = child abuse?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

15 years of chicken nuggets = child abuse?

Post by NHE »

Child Abuse? 17-Year-Old Drops After Eating Only Chicken Nuggets Since Age 2
http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/01 ... gets-age-2
Stacey Irvine looks surprisingly well for a 17-year-old who's eaten only chicken nuggets since she was 2. But when she recently went to the hospital after passing out from struggling to breathe, doctors told her that she absolutely had to eat more healthily.

"She's been told in no uncertain terms that she will die if she carries on like this, but Stacey says she can't eat anything else," her mom, Evonne, told U.K.'s Daily Mail. "It breaks my heart to see her eating those damned nuggets. I am at my wit's end. I'm praying she can be helped before it's too late."

Stacey claims never to have tasted fruits or vegetables, but admits to sometimes eating fries and toast. "McDonald's chicken nuggets are my favorite," said Stacey. "I share 20 with my boyfriend, with [fries]." She also enjoys nuggets from KFC and the supermarket.

Evonne says her two younger children eat normally, and that she's tried depriving Stacey of food to force her to expand her repertoire.

In the hospital, Stacey was injected with much-needed vitamins and doctors found that she suffered from anaemia and inflamed veins on her tongue due to her obsessive diet.
So, what exactly is a chicken nugget?

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/10 ... gets-gross
Now, if you’re still under the impression that nuggets are made by breading and frying small pieces of meat cut from an actual chicken breast or leg, we’re sorry—what follows will come as a shock. And for those of you who have long considered the nugget to be a highly dubious food, we now have facts to back up your suspicions, courtesy of a new study published in the American Journal of Medicine. According to analysis of fried chicken purchased from two national fast food chains in Jackson, Mississippi, your “chicken” is an amalgamation of some actual muscle blended with fat, blood vessels and nerves, or fat, cartilage and bone.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Re: 15 years of chicken nuggets = child abuse?

Post by Anonymoose »

Nope. 15 years of chicken nuggets only = unaddressed sensory integration/processing disorder issues. Its very difficult to treat and requires professional guidance in many cases. If the mom didn't have adequate guidance from her daughter's pediatrician and an OT team, I can see how she would lose the battle no matter how hard she tried to fix it. I'm only aware of the issue because of my involvement on a parenting board. I imagine a lot of parents out there are completely in the dark about it and don't know it is a real medical problem and there is professional help available.