goats milk?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
jerrygallow
Family Elder

goats milk?

Post by jerrygallow »

any thoughts. I am dairy free. I hate the taste. But I saw some lady on youtube who claimed it helped her MS. I know it has selenium, helps with copper absorption, and is similar to human milk. I think being dairy free has been central to my good health. I follow the Swank diet by limited animal fats (not oils or healthy fats so much). Anybody drink this stuff?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: goats milk?

Post by NHE »

jerrygallow wrote:any thoughts. I am dairy free. I hate the taste. But I saw some lady on youtube who claimed it helped her MS. I know it has selenium, helps with copper absorption, and is similar to human milk. I think being dairy free has been central to my good health. I follow the Swank diet by limited animal fats (not oils or healthy fats so much). Anybody drink this stuff?
I've never tried goat's milk, but goat cheese is good especially on a salad or as a spread mixed with sundried tomatoes.
amims

Post by amims »

NHE wrote:
jerrygallow wrote:any thoughts. I am dairy free. I hate the taste. But I saw some lady on youtube who claimed it helped her MS. I know it has selenium, helps with copper absorption, and is similar to human milk. I think being dairy free has been central to my good health. I follow the Swank diet by limited animal fats (not oils or healthy fats so much). Anybody drink this stuff?
I've never tried goat's milk, but goat cheese is good especially on a salad or as a spread mixed with sundried tomatoes.

You guys are talking about goat milk that benefits in MS or its just your taste buds are talking?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I found it had a strong flavour I did not enjoy (although I do like fetta from goat & sheep) I avoid milk as best I can, and use a "coconut alternative" which tastes great to me (much better than soy or almond or oat milks)
http://www.tastethedream.com/products/p ... 28/772.php
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

My current thinking focuses on vitamin B12.

I only tasted goat's milk once (and did not like it!) when visiting an old college roommate, who has unique ideas about diet. It was not available commercially, she had to get it directly from a farmer. It was not pasteurized; some people have written that pasteurization destroys vitamin B12. Could it be that goat's milk, being unpasteurized, is a good source of B12?

By the way, antibiotics also supposedly destroy vitamin B12. By limiting red meat (most often commercially produced and given antibiotics), the Swank diet may be reducing food that is devoid of B12 or whose antibiotic content may even be affecting our human stores of the vitamin. The Wahls diet, with its emphasis on "grass-fed" (therefore, perhaps antibiotic-free as well) and organ meats, such as liver – even in the capsule form, may be increasing a person's B-12 consumption.

Just thinking these might be possibilities…
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

OK, I posted a really good reply last night, and they warned I may loose it, and am sure I saved it somewhere, but I guess I lost that as well...

Anyway, the gist of it was that it appears what science thinks that is in cows milk that is bad for MS, is also in goats milk, so now I know to not fall back to feta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyrophi ... _member_A1
Link to Multiple Sclerosis
Butyrophilin has been presented as a potential antigen which may be similar enough to myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) to spur the immune system to attack myelin in a process known as molecular or epitopic mimicry. This suggests that ingestion of butyrophilin in dairy products from cows and goats may be a potential trigger for multiple sclerosis. Independent studies by a group in Germany have reached similar conclusions.[5][6]

Interestingly, the German group have used heavy doses of butyrophilin on mice with an experimental model for multiple sclerosis called EAE. They have found that this strategy, called immune tolerance, reduces the effects of the disease.
and we all know how great EAE is as a model for MS...