Stay away from Beets and Sugar Beet byproducts

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Galaxian

Stay away from Beets and Sugar Beet byproducts

Post by Galaxian »

I noticed on serveral MS sites they recommend eating Beets. Based on some of the research I have seen I have to recommend to stay away from beets and beet root and beet sugar. I recently develop the early signs of MS and the only thing I could have caused it was the fact that I ate beets frequently since I was diagnosed with mild anemia. I ate them for the extra iron. Google Aze and Beets and Sclerosis.
Beets and Beets silage are implicated in marked myelin and neuronal degeneration. .
Aze is present in high concentration in the bulbs of sugar beets, which account for 30% of the world's sucrose supply. Sugar beet byproducts (dried pulp and molasses) contain Aze; Aze stands for Azetidine-2-carboxylic acid present in sugar beet products they are widely used as feed for dairy and meat livestock. Which could also explain why eating dairy is causing problems.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Re: Stay away from Beets and Sugar Beet byproducts

Post by jerrygallow »

Thanks for posting this information. It is new to me. However I would suggest that iron itself can aggravate ms. I know iron supplements can be terrible for me. But low iron can also be caused by low copper. And low copper can create MS like symptoms. Because copper is necessary for the maintenance of the myelin sheath
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Here's the research from Stanford that Galaxian is referring to:
In MS, myelin, the fatty substance that surrounds and protects nerve fibers, is destroyed. Myelin is made by cells in the brain called oligodendrocytes. This team proposes to investigate one way that oligodendrocytes may be rendered susceptible to MS early in life. They are focusing on the effects of a compound found in sugar beets called Azetidine-2-carboxylic acid (Aze). Sugar beets are used in meat and dairy products and their geographical use resembles that of MS incidence. Aze resembles an amino acid called proline. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, and if Aze is mistakenly incorporated into proteins instead of proline, the resulting protein may be unstable. Previous studies have shown that when Aze is incorporated into proteins made by oligodendrocytes, the cells do not function normally. The team will investigate the possibility that when fed to rodents early in life, Aze is a dietary contributor to susceptibility to MS pathology. If Aze is shown to be harmful to oligodendrocytes, the results will establish a new, highly relevant rodent model of MS and suggest new research to explore this possible clue to an MS trigger.
- See more at: http://www.progressivemsalliance.org/re ... zBD5H.dpuf

Notice it's a compound found in sugar beets called Aze-- which might be mistakenly incorporated into the proteins we eat and disrupt myelin. Since livestock is fed this byproduct, it can get into our food supply that way.
Also, sugar beets are very different than the red beets recommended for pwMS. Google them--they are white, not red, and they contain lots more sugar and no phytonutrients or healthy nitrates which are found in the darkly colored vegetables. Sugar beets are grown for their sugar and used to make sucrose. The higher the sugar content, the higher the AZE content. And grass fed beef and feed fed chickens will not have this problem.

The message really is---stay away from refined sugars and sucrose- , stay away from feed lot meats and steer clear of dairy-- That's where the highest concentration of Aze and the misfolded proteins are found. Eating an organic red beet or two will have only trace amounts of Aze.

Always important to dig behind the headlines and read real research.
Sugar beet agriculture, especially in the Northern Hemisphere, has become widespread during the past 150 years, and now accounts for nearly 30% of the world's supply of sucrose. Sugar beet byproducts are also used as a dietary supplement for livestock. Therefore, this study was undertaken as an initial survey to identify Aze-containing links in the food chain. Herein, we report the presence of Aze 1 in three sugar beet byproducts that are fed to farm animals: sugar beet molasses, shredded sugar beet pulp, and pelleted sugar beet pulp.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19101705

Sorry for your MS diagnosis, Galaxian! MS is a multi-factorial disease...lots to look into, and I hope you find answers and healing.

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
surendermca04

Post by surendermca04 »

Thanks Cheer,
I was found MS in Jun-2017 and from last 3 months I was drinking fresh juice daily in morning, mainly Carrot + Red beet roots + sometime orange.
Today I added more beets and less carrot and feeling something different in body reaction so I search and found this link.
before today I was feeling good and thinking it is good to me.

So I am still little confuse that can I continue or leave beet, I am bringing red beets root from farmer market, do not know that is organic or not but they are very red.
As I understand that red beets are good but suger/while beets are not good, correct?

Thanks
Suren
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

reiterating, in case cheer does not check in:

"sugar beets are very different than the red beets recommended for pwMS.
Google them--they are white, not red...
they contain lots more sugar and no phytonutrients or healthy nitrates which are found in the darkly colored vegetables."
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Interesting...

Azetidine-2-carboxylic acid

Proline

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i dont tend to get into this kind of stuff but, first search result

Misincorporation of the proline analog azetidine-2-carboxylic acid in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis: a hypothesis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18957898

the abstract mentions protein and structure and misconstruction and displacement enough that it will of course send me off in the direction of zinc and possibly cadmium.

this so far (may already have seen in the past but if so, don't recall):

Specificity of zinc binding to myelin basic protein
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00995566

Zn2+ appears to stabilize the myelin sheath but the mechanism of this effect is unknown. In a previous report we have shown that zinc binds to CNS myelin basic protein (MBP) in the presence of phosphate and this results in MBP aggregation. For this paper we used a solid phase zinc blotting assay to identify which myelin proteins bind zinc. MBP and a 58 kDa band were found to be the major targets of65Zn binding. Moreover, using fluorescence, light scattering and electron microscopy we investigated the binding of zinc and other cations to purified MBP in solution. Among the cations tested for their ability to interfere with the binding of zinc, the most effective were cadmium, mercury and copper, but only cadmium and mercury increased the scattering intensity, whereas MBP aggregation was not inhibited by copper ions. Thus, the effect of zinc on the formation of MBP clusters seems to be specific.

adding azetidine-2-carboxylic acid to the search terms takes results down to three, two just citations.

only actual result

The effects of stress and aging on glutathione metabolism
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3705000103

not much in the abstract. any more digging will have to wait.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

I just recently started drinking about 40ml of red beet juice per day. I read that red beets are good for inflammation is why I'm doing this. Do you guys agree that it's good, or is this something that I should stop doing?

Thanks Glenn
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

81Charger wrote:I just recently started drinking about 40ml of red beet juice per day. I read that red beets are good for inflammation is why I'm doing this. Do you guys agree that it's good, or is this something that I should stop doing?

Thanks Glenn
Sugar beets are a different plant from red beets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_beet
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

Epub 2019 Jul 13
Neurotoxin Research Group, School of Life Sciences (04.06.340), University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
Cell death and mitochondrial dysfunction induced by the dietary non-proteinogenic amino acid L-azetidine-2-carboxylic acid (Aze).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31302779

Abstract

In addition to the 20 protein amino acids that are vital to human health, hundreds of naturally occurring amino acids, known as non-proteinogenic amino acids (NPAAs), exist and can enter the human food chain. Some NPAAs are toxic through their ability to mimic protein amino acids and this property is utilised by NPAA-containing plants to inhibit the growth of other plants or kill herbivores. The NPAA L-azetidine-2-carboxylic acid (Aze) enters the food chain through the use of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris) by-products as feed in the livestock industry and may also be found in sugar beet by-product fibre supplements. Aze mimics the protein amino acid L-proline and readily misincorporates into proteins. In light of this, we examined the toxicity of Aze to mammalian cells in vitro. We showed decreased viability in Aze-exposed cells with both apoptotic and necrotic cell death. This was accompanied by alterations in endosomal-lysosomal activity, changes to mitochondrial morphology and a significant decline in mitochondrial function. In summary, the results show that Aze exposure can lead to deleterious effects on human neuron-like cells and highlight the importance of monitoring human Aze consumption via the food chain.
https://www.eboro.cz