"Digging In" on a typical TiMS day

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

"Digging In" on a typical TiMS day

Post by jimmylegs »

prelim analysis of a TiMS member's routine, examined via lens of the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate (50% produce ~3/4 veg 1/4 fruit, 25% whole grains, 25% protein)
(taking the whole day as one plate)

Thursday's meals, typical of most days

BREAKFAST

fruit
est 450 g raw, 3 servings

a medium sized navel orange (est 130 g)
a d'anjou green pear (160 g)
about 1/16 of a small watermelon (??? 1c = 154 g)

AM SNACK

fruit, 75 g raw, 0.5 serving

4 oz red grapes

LUNCH

french toast made with Dave's Good Seed organic bread sliced in half covered with pesto and 56 g of turkey meat to make a half sandwich

whole grain

TBD

protein

est 1 med egg amt 1.5 oz, 6g protein
est milk amt 1 oz, 1 g protein
one slice bread 45 g, 5 g protein
est pesto amt 1 tbsp
turkey amt 56 g (hopefully not deli meat) est 2 oz, 26 g protein

est lunch protein content 38 g

est daily protein target 56 g

PM SNACK

fruit
, 75 g raw, 0.5 serving

4 oz red grapes

DINNER

veg

est 300 g, one serving est 75 g cooked, 4 servings (awesome diversity)

220 g sauteed veggies in extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil, includes... sweet potato, spinach, red bell pepper, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, zucchini & carrots

78 g steamed broccoli

whole grains

108 g brown rice, est 0.5 serving

protein

Garden of Life protein drink, ~26 g plant based protein

Nancy's unsweetened yogurt.

PRELIMINARY SUMMARY

produce

4 servings veg (9 types), 4 servings fruit (4 types).

ratio could be tweaked to 6 veg & 2 fruit, vs 4 and 4

veg diversity great, fruit diversity good

follow up pending re grains, protein.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: "Digging In" on a typical TiMS day

Post by ElliotB »

My diet would break the lens!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

show me the money ;)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I only eat two meals a day. Digestion takes a tremendous amount of the body's energy, and I read that by only having two meals, the body has more time for 'repair' tasks. FWIW, I am never hungry. I have been doing this for over 4 years.

I have been on a high good fat diet (basically only very fatty foods (meats and poultry and wild caught mainly fatty fish with very limited amounts of wild caught seafood) all high in Omega 3 fat, minimal Omega 6 and other fats and high in EFAs (essential fatty acids) for over 4 years. I am totally gluten free and rarely consume carbs. No grains of any kind. No rice, pasta etc. In the last month, I have found I am finally (after about 2 years) able to tolerate a minimal amount of lightly cooked vegetables again (no raw veggies) without having negative reactions (oddly vegetables seemed to aggravate my nerve pain). I have also added back some fruit to my diet, also on a very limited basis.

A typical meal is 4-10 ounces of meat, fish, seafood, eggs and or poultry. Once or so every couple of days I add a small portion of cooked vegetables although I have been increasing the frequency lately. I am also having very small portions of fruit several times a week now.

For breakfast this morning, as I generally always do on Saturdays, I enjoyed 3 ultra high Omega 3 eggs. While I usually have grass fed beef bacon or high Omega 3 pork bacon with them, today I enjoyed a treat, a Florida spiny lobster. Living in South Florida, I often have access to great tasting and healthy local fresh wild caught seafood. I was in Whole Foods yesterday lucked out!

Also with every meal, I drink homemade water Kefir (a high probiotic drink) and load it up with about 30 nutrients. I also take about 30 additional supplements daily. Modern foods don't have a lot of nutrition in them. I leave nothing to chance.

There is no consensus on what the perfect diet for humans is, but there are certainly a lot of theories on what the perfect diet for humans should be. And what the perfect diet for those with MS is. Who is right? Who knows!!!
Last edited by ElliotB on Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

'thumbie'

ooh i learned a thing
:-BD

Return to “Diet”