The Impact of Coffee and Caffeine

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Petr75
Family Elder

The Impact of Coffee and Caffeine

Post by Petr75 »

2018 Dec 21
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
The Impact of Coffee and Caffeine on Multiple Sclerosis Compared to Other Neurodegenerative Diseases.
PMC https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6308803/

Abstract
Background: The literature concerning the effect of coffee and caffeine on Multiple Sclerosis (MS) with focus on fatigue is investigated in this review. Potentially clinically relevant effects were also assessed in studies concerning comparable neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson's disease (PD) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Since the existing studies obtained very inconclusive results, we systematically reviewed these studies to summarize the evidence on the possible effects of coffee and caffeine on those disease entities. Previous studies suggested that coffee and caffeine intake is associated with a reduced risk of developing MS and other neurological diseases.

Methods: The PubMed database was searched using the keywords "coffee" OR "caffeine" in combination with keywords for each of the different diseases. Besides the keyword search, we included studies by reference list search. Studies on the effects of coffee and caffeine on the single neurological diseases were included for this review. A total of 51 articles met our inclusion criteria. The reviewed articles assessed the impact of coffee and caffeine on the susceptibility for neurological diseases, as well as the effect of coffee and caffeine on disease progression and possible symptomatic effects like on performance enhancement.

Results: Higher intake of coffee and caffeine was associated with a lower risk of developing PD. In some of the MS studies there, is evidence for a similar effect and experimental studies confirmed the positive impact. Interestingly in MS coffee and caffeine may have a stronger impact on disease course compared to effects on disease susceptibility. In ALS no such beneficial effect could be observed in the clinical and experimental studies.

Conclusion: This literature assessment revealed that coffee and especially caffeine could have a preventative role in the development of several neurodegenerative diseases if provided in comparatively high doses. The systematic assessment indicates that coffee and caffeine intake must not be considered as a health risk. Additional clinical studies are needed to fully understand how far coffee and caffeine intake should be considered as a potential therapeutic approach for certain disease entities and conditions.
https://www.eboro.cz
Zyklon
Family Elder

Re: The Impact of Coffee and Caffeine

Post by Zyklon »

I still drink coffee daily. No added sugar, no milk, nothing else. Fresh ground coffee, 3rd wave brewing (chemex, hario v60, aeropress, syphon...)

It is a powerful antioxidant ( https://www.coffeescience.org/6-antioxidants-in-coffee/ ) and I believe its neuro benefits. Just stay away from industrial coffees.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
Petr75
Family Elder

Re: The Impact of Coffee and Caffeine

Post by Petr75 »

2022 Oct 26
Department of Biosciences, Biotechnologies and Environment, University of Bari, Italy
Neurodegenerative Diseases: Can Caffeine Be a Powerful Ally to Weaken Neuroinflammation?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36361750/

Abstract

In recent years, there has been considerable research showing that coffee consumption seems to be beneficial to human health, as it contains a mixture of different bioactive compounds such as chlorogenic acids, caffeic acid, alkaloids, diterpenes and polyphenols. Neurodegenerative diseases (NDs) are debilitating, and non-curable diseases associated with impaired central, peripheral and muscle nervous systems. Several studies demonstrate that neuroinflammation mediated by glial cells-such as microglia and astrocytes-is a critical factor contributing to neurodegeneration that causes the dysfunction of brain homeostasis, resulting in a progressive loss of structure, function, and number of neuronal cells. This happens over time and leads to brain damage and physical impairment. The most known chronic NDs are represented by Alzheimer's disease (AD), Parkinson's disease (PD), multiple sclerosis (MS), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and Huntington's disease (HD). According to epidemiological studies, regular coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of neurodegenerative diseases. In this review, we summarize the latest research about the potential effects of caffeine in neurodegenerative disorders prevention and discuss the role of controlled caffeine delivery systems in maintaining high plasma caffeine concentrations for an extended time.
https://www.eboro.cz

Return to “Diet”