Swank Diet vs Higher Fat Diets

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Dselai

Swank Diet vs Higher Fat Diets

Post by Dselai »

I am so confused. Just let me start with that

A couple of years ago I found info on the Swank diet. My husband had run into a person who had MS for many years and had followed Swank with no progression of the disease. Around this time I had read of gluten/dairy-free and I started doing that. One of the dietary sites I follow is big on gluten-free, whole foods. They stress the brain needs fat to be healthy since its made up of a lot of fat. I hope I'm saying this right.

So for the last couple of years I have been doing no gluten, no dairy except butter, lots of "good" fats. I feel well but am concerned I am screwing my body up by not eating low fat, the Swank way. It seems these dietary approaches are direct opposites.

Anyone out there do Swank for years with no progression of the disease? Any suggestions on which way to go?? I'd appreciate any opinions! Thanks!
Last edited by Dselai on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Swank Diet vs Higher Fat Diets

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I don't blame you for being confused. Many diets seem diametrically opposed to others. They only thing they all seem to avoid is added sugar.
As gluten doesn't agree with me, I'm a bit like you. I do eat the good fats. It doesn't seem to have harmed me.
A book by Terry Wahls might be of use - https://terrywahls.com/about/about-terry-wahls/
Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Swank Diet vs Higher Fat Diets

Post by NHE »

I take a high quality fish oil every day. Two capsules provide 1800 mg of omega-3. I find that it gives me some extra energy. Costco puts it on sale at $4 off every few months or so.

https://www.costco.com/trunature-triple ... 52944.html

I also cook with coconut oil and olive oil. Olive oil is 70-80% oleic acid which is the precursor for nervonic acid a component of sphingomyelin. viewtopic.php?f=27&p=260022#p260022