Diet modifications associated with lower cognitive decline

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Diet modifications associated with lower cognitive decline

Post by NHE »

Diet Modifications, Including More Wine and Cheese, May Help Reduce Cognitive Decline
https://neurosciencenews.com/cheese-win ... ion-17408/

Summary: A new study reveals the impact of diet on cognitive health as we age. Researchers found cheese consumption had neuroprotective effects against cognitive decline. Daily moderate consumption of red wine was associated with improvements in cognitive function.

Source: Iowa State University
https://content.iospress.com/articles/j ... /jad201058

The foods we eat may have a direct impact on our cognitive acuity in our later years. This is the key finding of an Iowa State University research study spotlighted in an article published in the November 2020 issue of the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease.

The study was spearheaded by principal investigator, Auriel Willette, an assistant professor in Food Science and Human Nutrition, and Brandon Klinedinst, a Neuroscience PhD candidate working in the Food Science and Human Nutrition department at Iowa State. The study is a first-of-its-kind large scale analysis that connects specific foods to later-in-life cognitive acuity.

Willette, Klinedinst and their team analyzed data collected from 1,787 aging adults (from 46 to 77 years of age, at the completion of the study) in the United Kingdom through the UK Biobank, a large-scale biomedical database and research resource containing in-depth genetic and health information from half-a-million UK participants. The database is globally accessible to approved researchers undertaking vital research into the world’s most common and life-threatening diseases.

Participants completed a Fluid Intelligence Test (FIT) as part of touchscreen questionnaire at baseline (compiled between 2006 and 2010) and then in two follow-up assessments (conducted from 2012 through 2013 and again between 2015 and 2016). The FIT analysis provides an in-time snapshot of an individual’s ability to “think on the fly.”

Participants also answered questions about their food and alcohol consumption at baseline and through two follow-up assessments. The Food Frequency Questionnaire asked participants about their intake of fresh fruit, dried fruit, raw vegetables and salad, cooked vegetables, oily fish, lean fish, processed meat, poultry, beef, lamb, pork, cheese, bread, cereal, tea and coffee, beer and cider, red wine, white wine and champagne and liquor.

Here are four of the most significant findings from the study:
  1. Cheese, by far, was shown to be the most protective food against age-related cognitive problems, even late into life;

2. The daily consumption of alcohol, particularly red wine, was related to improvements in cognitive function;

3. Weekly consumption of lamb, but not other red meats, was shown to improve long-term cognitive prowess; and

4. Excessive consumption of salt is bad, but only individuals already at risk for Alzheimer’s Disease may need to watch their intake to avoid cognitive problems over time.
Participants also answered questions about their food and alcohol consumption at baseline and through two follow-up assessments.

“I was pleasantly surprised that our results suggest that responsibly eating cheese and drinking red wine daily are not just good for helping us cope with our current COVID-19 pandemic, but perhaps also dealing with an increasingly complex world that never seems to slow down,” Willette said. “While we took into account whether this was just due to what well-off people eat and drink, randomized clinical trials are needed to determine if making easy changes in our diet could help our brains in significant ways.”

Klinedinst added, “Depending on the genetic factors you carry, some individuals seem to be more protected from the effects of Alzheimers, while other seem to be at greater risk. That said, I believe the right food choices can prevent the disease and cognitive decline altogether. Perhaps the silver bullet we’re looking for is upgrading how we eat. Knowing what that entails contributes to a better understanding of Alzheimer’s and putting this disease in a reverse trajectory.”
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Diet modifications associated with lower cognitive decline

Post by jimmylegs »

i have been helping a connection who is dealing with age related vascular cognitive impairment, exploring various rehab options, and have been researching within the last week re fluid and crystalline intelligence etc. i had to dig in on this study's results and discussion to see how it addressed certain aspects of my understanding to date re diet

excerpts:

"...Associations with diet by genetic factors subgroups
... both non-carriers (APOE4–) and especially carriers (APOE4+) showed increased baseline levels of FI with daily cheese (APOE4–: p = 0.008; APOE4+: p = 0.001) at baseline, but no relation was observed over time (see Fig. 1). Though among APOE4+ only, there was a positive association between FI and weekly cheese over time (p = 0.025).
...There are several limitations that should be considered in our study. Although we utilized longitudinal data for predictors and outcomes, this is an observational study and the direction of causality cannot be inferred. Our study had nevertheless several strengths worth noting. ... By identifying effects from individual food categories, Mediterranean and MIND diet recommendations could be further improved and personalized.
In summary, our findings suggest that weekly cheese intake over six years is associated with better fluid intelligence performance for APOE4+ adults, though daily cheese intake appeared beneficial regardless of APOE4 carrier status at baseline. The association between FI and certain food may differ between people stratified by AD family history and between people stratified by APOE4 carrier status. Thus, meal plans may need to be modified to meet individual needs to potentially minimize cognitive decline..."

doesn't look like anyone's had time to cite it yet and potentially discuss its findings in relation to their own and others' research. in the meantime, there's always reddit :) (at a glance, it looks like one of the authors may be in on the discussion there):

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/commen ... rotective/

so far we have definitely been working with mediterranean/MIND recommendations (among a couple of other personal considerations) and tweaking/monitoring nutrient status based on that foundation. will be interesting to see how med/mind recommendations might evolve over time.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hmmm all the high sat fat stuff that I've been excluding....

:?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

me too, and so far i think i've excluded the worst choices, and kept in the best ones (in suitable moderation).

luckily, inquiry continues!

Milk, Yogurt, and Cheese Intake Is Positively Associated With Cognitive Executive Functions in Older Adults of the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging (2021)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34115853/
"Total dairy product, cheese, and low-fat dairy product intakes were positively associated with the executive function domain and yogurt intake with the memory domain (all p < .05), independently of important covariates including age, gender, education, and diet quality. ... Participants with a dairy product intake >2.5 times/d had a higher score compared to those consuming less."

A Critical Review of the Study of Neuroprotective Diets to Reduce Cognitive Decline (2021)
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/7/2264/htm
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

and speaking of cheese, this one is funny :D

Much Ado About Checklists
Who Says I Need Them and Who Moved My Cheese? (2013)

https://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-ana ... hem.2.aspx
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This is an interesting topic.

About 8 years ago, I gave up gluten. At that time, I didn't know what gluten was. And within a month I noticed numerous improvements in my memory. Over the following months, my memory continued to improved, noticeably.

Ever since I was a young teenager, my memory was terrible. When I was introduced to someone, I forgot their name within 15 seconds. Now over 40 years later, I have an excellent memory, and remember the names of people I meet with ease. My memory is certainly not perfect, but it is excellent. Surprisingly good!

In my opinion, diet is extremely important for good health in so many ways. And memory is just one of them. There is ample evidence that gluten does indeed affect the brain and memory.

From Dr. Google:

"Recent studies seem to show that gluten, most commonly found in wheat, rye and barley, may have a profound affect the brain and nervous system in many people. Researchers have found that eating gluten can potentially increase the risk of memory loss, dementia symptoms and Alzheimer's"

While most people 'tolerate' gluten, it is my opinion that most people are affected in some way from the consumption of gluten. If you have memory issues regardless of your age, try a gluten free diet for 6 months and you will likely notice a significant improvement.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

recognizing gluten's potential for zinc depletion and having experienced the cognitive down side of zinc deficiency, i personally enjoy gluten in moderation, and ensure high dietary zinc intake to help compensate, including via supplementing (also in careful, monitored moderation) with zinc.