Benefits of a plant based diet

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Benefits of a plant based diet

Post by NHE »

Here's an interesting presentation in support of a plant based diet.

ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Benefits of a plant based diet

Post by ElliotB »

There have been numerous reports posted lately about how a Keto style diet (high in proteins that are rich in good fats (omega 3s), low carb - I never purchase these from a typical supermarket as the proteins I consume are generally not available from a supermarket) is being found to be highly effective for those with MS. I am also gluten free. I consume very few fruits, primarily because of their high sugar content, and for the most part only eat home grown sprouts rather than mature vegetables because they are typically 5x higher in nutrients than their mature counterparts and are pesticide free too. Should you decide to ever consume sprouts, avoid commercial sprouts as they can have health concerns. They are easy and extremely inexpensive to grow and doing so is the best option. Commercially grown sprouts can contain bacteria, such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria, can cause foodborne illness, especially in people with compromised immune systems. Sprouts can also come into contact with bacteria in the farm, packaging, storage, transportation, or preparation stages.

Here is a link to a well written article about the numerous health benefits of growing and eating sprouts and also about the issues with commercially grown sprouts (you absolutely should only consume home grown sprouts in my opinion based on the many articles I have read about them which is why I started growing them myself). I have been growing these and eating them for years:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ra ... ITLE_HDR_3

I was aware of this type of diet approach years before Wahls published her findings. And have been on this type of diet for about 10 years. My health is excellent, my bloodwork is excellent, I have had zero attacks since my initial major one and then one minor one about a year later while I was on the Swank diet and had zero new symptoms since following this diet. Most of my symptoms are either gone completely or have become much milder over the years and I continue to experience noticeable improvements. And the biggest improvement I have experienced and maintained excellent memory which I never had before at any time in my life. Plus, I lost a lot of weight and have kept it off, and I am basically never hungry in spite of eating as much food as I choose to..

Strangely ALL diets seem to work for some for some reason for those with MS, including vegetarian and vegan diets.

This is one of many reports I have seen:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Benefits of a plant based diet

Post by NHE »

Agreed. Ketones are good for the brain. The video I posted doesn't dispute that. What it does present though, is that it matters where you get that protein and fat. Eat your coconut oil.