nutritional type & anti inflammatory diet

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
popsie
Getting to Know You...

nutritional type & anti inflammatory diet

Post by popsie »

I used to follow the swank diet but was told to try the nutritional type diet - I am a protein type (which interestingly agrees with my blood type though I was not asked). Now I eat protein but only organic - chicken, kangaroo, a little low fat lamb & progurt (made from organic full cream milk).

I also read about the lupus diet (which excludes anti inflammatories - wheat, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum,aubergine) legumes (alfalfa, red clover,soy,peas, all beans, lentils). So I decided to try it. Now I feel wonderful, NO fatigue & lots of energy.

As MS is inflammatory I wonder why is this never suggested?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: nutritional type & anti inflammatory diet

Post by NHE »

popsie wrote:I used to follow the swank diet but was told to try the nutritional type diet - I am a protein type (which interestingly agrees with my blood type though I was not asked). Now I eat protein but only organic - chicken, kangaroo, a little low fat lamb & progurt (made from organic full cream milk).

I also read about the lupus diet (which excludes anti inflammatories - wheat, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum,aubergine) legumes (alfalfa, red clover,soy,peas, all beans, lentils). So I decided to try it. Now I feel wonderful, NO fatigue & lots of energy.

As MS is inflammatory I wonder why is this never suggested?
The cynical sounding but probably accurate answer is that you won't hear about if from most doctors because it doesn't make the drug companies any money. This statement doesn't include all doctors. There are some open minded ones which will recommend dietary changes to help curb inflammation. However, many doctors are trained in a certain mindset being that if there is a problem, then there is a drug. Another approach to follow is to combine an anti-inflammatory diet with an MS medication in order to help maximize treatment efficacy. Dietary changes along with various supplements have been discussed quite a bit here on the forums. It's great to hear about the success that you're having! :wink:

NHE
Mamacita
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mamacita »

Do you exclude all tomatoes or just the underripe ones? Is the exclusion about the solanine? I know that green tomatoes are through the roof on solanine content, but I thought fully ripe tomatoes were practically solanine free. Do you exclude the ripe tomatoes anyway?

I'll have to check out the nutritional type diet. I don't really know anything about it. My husband and I are basically Best Bet Diet people, but we tweak a little here and there based on what studies I read.
--Mamacita