Best Bet Diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

---
Last edited by Quest56 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

thanks for the tips guys :)
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
hlm286
Family Elder

Post by hlm286 »

I bought the cookbook "cooking for Isaiah" by Silvana Nardone

It has some great recipes, but best of all, it has an amazing recipe for gluten-free all purpose flour (that can also easily be made into a pancake mix that there's a recipe for as well)

I was spending $6 at the grocery store for this tiny tiny box of gluten-free flour and this recipe makes 4 pounds of flour and I got all the stuff at Bulk Barn for around $10!

Here's the recipe:
6 cups white rice flour
3 cups tapioca flour
1 1/2 cups potato starch
1 tbs salt
2 tbs xanthum gum
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

Hlm,

It's a miracle! LOL Thanks so much for the recipe!! I think I'll give it a whirl this weekend :) One question though....if it calls for Rice flour....why not just use that?? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm not very well versed on the topic in question.......YET! ;)
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
hlm286
Family Elder

Post by hlm286 »

Hey,

Not sure, but I think it's all about flavour and maybe consistency? The author said she tried so many different store-bought flours, and different types of flours and tested them in recipes until she finally "perfected" a flour recipe that works for any purpose, baking, cooking, pancakes, etc. I keep this flour on hand now and use it for everything. I love the taste, I made muffins with it and actually prefer this flour taste to regular flour.
heyray
Family Member

Re: Best Bet Diet discussion

Post by heyray »

I'm pretty much in the same diet you are and occasionally I also get an urge of eating other foods such as tacos and so. Lately I had an urge on making some chicken and green pepper flautas, of course using olive oil. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it this thursday. I'm getting bored of salads, carrots, and berries. The diet has helped me a lot though, all the symptoms have gone away however they sometimes feel like they want to make a come back though, but I'm going to keep on trucking in regards to the diet. Keep your head up and lets keep on fighting to neutralize this illness. :-D
Lulujersey

Post by Lulujersey »

Hi,
I am following the Swank/OMS program but after reading up on the BBD and leaky gut syndrome got myself an ELISA test to ensure that th the OMS was the right diet to follow.
Had my results back and I am in the clear for everything except a mild intolerences to peanuts randomly !! The dairy and red meat results are negated as the OMS diet doesn't permit these and I am over the 3 month limit of excluding them so it wouldn't show up even if I was !!
The OMS and BBD are principally the same but if I don't have any food intolerences then is the BBD for me ?
I was diagnosed following an MRI scan after one brief spell of tingling down the left side of my face (which has now gone) so I have no benchmark of whether the diet is alleviating any symptoms and my next MRI is not due until September....

Suggestions and or advice please ??
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi, what all tests did you have done as part of your diagnostic process?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Lulujersey

Post by Lulujersey »

120+ Food IgG test
stanlesssteel

Post by stanlesssteel »

This diet works 100%. Of course my neurologist scoffs at diets helping MS.

I was diagnosed at 25. Started with Swank moved directly to Best Bet(I don't think it was called that back then, I just read his web page with his findings). I didn't do no blood test just cut out saturated fats, gluten, eggs, diary and legumes. Back then there were not too many gluten free but these days it's much easier.

How do I know it works?

Diagnosed at 25 and was on best bet until 35. I had zero remissions and was very active (BJJ + gym+ tons of cardio). I ate strict and did the supplement protocol with about 1-2 TBSP. of Cod Liver Oil.

35-40 - I feel off the wagon. My life went side ways and I began to drink (not too heavily) and ate like total garbage (fast foods, sweets etc). I gained 60+ pounds. Symptoms started gradually until my right leg dragged, pins and needles on feet and hands and then rock bottom- Bladder issues that caused antibiotic resistant UTI. This last issue was a literal nightmare that had me thinking suicide more than once.

At 40 I had enough and went back to best bet very strict. Slowly my symptoms disappeared (some like the dragging leg cleared up quickly). I started working out . It was very tough as my balance went south and my cardio was atrocious. Could be the MS , could be the weight gain. Anyways the more I worked out the more I could work out. Body bounced back.

I am 42 now and the only issue I have is bladder which gets better but slowly. I am happy to say that I am able to go back to BJJ and Kickboxing and even at my age I keep up with the younger guys and I get better by the day.

I have no doubt diet can help MS people.At the very least it will prevent other issues like heart disease etc. I also take 3000mg of Vit d3 in addition to cod liver oil. I eat a lot of veggies,fruits, brown rice, chicken (I don't like fish) and once a week I treat myself to very lean beef. I love Greek food so this fits (chicken, rice + potatoes). The diet is easy to follow and I encourage all to try it. Also work out. Even if you can move only one hand - do it. The body will get better.

This is a treacherous disease and let's face it- neurologist don't have too many answers. Take care of your diet and body and health will follow.
Danelle

Post by Danelle »

Diet was a huge part in my recovery. Hoping you can read my blog and that it blesses you,
In health
Danell

https://hopevictoryoverms.blogspot.com/?m=1
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

google scholar results for search on 'best bet diet', including more and less appropriately indexed items:
https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?start ... 5&as_vis=1

and the single search result that passes whatever academic muster is represented by a subscription from my institution's library
Ouch!: an Examination of the Self-Representation of Disabled People on the Internet
https://academic.oup.com/jcmc/article/11/2/442/4617727

two occurrences of best bet diet in this one, as follows:

'Ian Cook ended his article “The Best Bet Diet” by taking leave of the reader with the statement “‘Tara a bit,’ as they say in Brum.” '

'17. Cook, I. The best bet diet: Week 1'

the only other bit (a review) published in anything pretending to journal (or 'journalzine') status:
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... alCode=act

and that journal's ranking:13
https://www.scimagojr.com/journalsearch ... 44&tip=sid

compare the lancet: 670
https://www.scimagojr.com/journalsearch ... id&clean=0

in my case, best bet diet's recommendations were among those that made no sense. 'avoid dairy' and 'limit eggs' when i'd been vegan for the better part of two decades? nope.

the equally insupportable klenner protocol at least had recommendations that made sense for my situation. klenner's 'high protein diet with 2-3 eggs for breakfast' reeked of logic, and worked in an amazingly short time. in hindsight all the klenner protocol was doing, was working my particular habitual extremes back towards a centrist approach consistent with public health nutrition recommendations.

are public health recommendations perfect? no. are they perfect for pwms? also no. especially in modern developed country food environments laden with the cheap and convenient choices that lead ever downward into illness.

but are public health recommendations better than my interpretation of vegan had been? ABSOLUTELY.

will best bet work for you? evaluate its details, evaluate your status quo, compare. decide whether adopting best bet represents progress from your status quo, towards mainstream public health info. then, you'll likely get at least some sense of whether you can expect it to improve your personal situation.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.