Best Bet Diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

ELISA = Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay and Yes it is a testing method currently the most reliable for food intolerances, it is not intended to diagnose food alergies though!
On the other hand even if someone hasn't intolerances to some foods say legumes they aren't allowed in BBD.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: "Leaky Gut" (The Best Bet Diet) tested?

Post by NHE »

Longing4Cheese wrote:I recall that, at least in the early 1990s, the best test for HIV was the ELISA test. I think the name (acronym) refers to a testing method, rather than being disease- or even test-subject-specific. I could be wrong there.
You are correct. ELISA stands for enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and you can read the technical details about it from the manuals available here.

NHE
g123
Family Member

Post by g123 »

Does anyone know if the results of this trial are available yet?
Nick
Family Elder

Post by Nick »

g123 wrote:Does anyone know if the results of this trial are available yet?
They're not but you can contact DIRECT-MS to get an indication of the research status.

Their addy is info@DIRECT-MS.org

Cheers
Nick
g123
Family Member

Post by g123 »

thanks!
Ernst
Family Elder

Post by Ernst »

Im too very curious about bbd trial results.. so any news of results yet?

- Ernst

ps. reason for curiousity is my wife's ms. She has been on diet quite soon after diagnosis. Our "trial" has been very good so far.
Nick
Family Elder

Post by Nick »

The lead researchers are currently assessing the MRI data from the trial but this is the abstract that was used for the ECTRIMS2008 conference this September.

Cheers
Nick

Title: Analysis of dietary intervention in early relapsing remitting MS
Background: Epidemiological studies suggest that dietary factors may influence risk of MS. There is high usage of complementary therapies amongst MS patients, and in particular various dietary modifications are popular. There is currently no significant trial data regarding dietary interventions in MS.
Objectives: Assess effect of dietary intervention, in particular the Best Bet Diet (BBD) on disease progression in early relapsing remitting MS.
Methods: Patients with diagnosis of relapsing remitting MS by MacDonald’s criteria with EDSS score of ≤ 3.5 were randomised to one of the two study diets (BBD and the diet advised by the MS society of UK) for a period of 12 months. The assessor was blinded to the treatments. EDSS scores, MSFC scores, Body mass index (BMI) and volumetric MRI brain were assessed at baseline and 6 monthly. Fatigue severity scales and visual analogue scales (VAS) were monitored. Subjects completed 7 day food diaries every 3 months.
Results: 28 patients consented, and 22 completed the trial. There were no adverse effects in any groups. There was no significant difference in BMI at baseline and at 12 months in either group. There was trend of lower rate of brain atrophy and change in EDSS in group on Best bet Diet but this was not statistically significant. MSFC score was significantly better in Best Bet Diet group (P: 0.0465), with difference of means at 2.08. There was significant improvement in VAS in BBD group (P: 0.046).
Conclusions: Dietary factors may be important in MS pathology. A hypoallergenic diet with high dose Vit D3 and fish oils, such as the BBD may have a role in slowing disease progression in MS.

Authors:
Pushkar S Shah
Louise Gold
Jonathan I O’Riordan

Nick's comment

The Multiple Sclerosis Functional Composite (MSFC) is a multidimensional clinical outcome measure that includes quantitative tests of leg function/ambulation (Timed 25-Foot Walk), arm function (9-Hole Peg Test), and cognitive function (Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test).
Ernst
Family Elder

Post by Ernst »

Thank You Nick. This was something I expected. And hopefully there will be phase 2 later. Is this abstract somewhere in internet, or still not public?

- Ernst
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Time to go back in BBD, sob!

Post by Wonderfulworld »

I was on BBD for 3.5 years.
During that time I lost a lot of weight but it did plateau at a BMI of 19-20, just about ok but on the thin side for me.

I am a big foodie, so I found it extremely tough to stay off a lot of food.
I got ELISA tests done in 2004 and I had antibodies to gluten (I am a coeliac), milk, eggs and a lower reaction to soy and legumes. Basically the ELISA tests pretty much mimicked the BBD diet protocols.

I did very well on BBD, improvement in fatigue, stamina, balance, activity, bladder and pain. Very few infections or sickness, very few relapses.

The downside was that I had some hair-loss and felt nearly permanently hungry.

I came off the diet a year and a half ago to have my son. He was born in Feb this year. I am now feeling really exhausted, I'm getting so many viral and bacterial infections and I've decided to go back on the BBD for a while to assess if it helps me again.

HELP! I need support! I just want to eat milk chocolate and scrambled eggs and butter....sob......but I know they do me no good at all. :(
Pity party going on here.........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, i came to PARTY hehe
have you had your iron and zinc assessed ww? i forget.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

To Wonderfulworld

Post by lyndacarol »

WW--I feel you are a kindred spirit; I like chocolate too, but I recommend bittersweet over milk chocolate. As the "insulin girl," I believe that anything that promotes insulin is to be avoided. I do not support all the ideas of the Best Bet Diet, only the reduction of carbohydrates, sugars and starches; so I think butter is fine, eggs too. Besides, don't they taste good?!!!

Remember, Type I diabetics produce NO insulin--they cannot put on fat; others put on fat if their bodies produce too much or do not effectively use what they have (insulin resistance). A person must have insulin to store fat!
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hey Jimmylegs thanks! Party is right :lol:

Iron - I've nearly always been a bit anaemic, through pregnancy and especially when I was on BBD before. I just don't know what to do anymore about it....if iron is a baddie, then how do you avoid anaemia but keep enough iron in your blood? I am very pale at the moment and getting every bug going so I suspect my iron is low again. Even when I was on BBD I did eat red meat once a week at least.

Zinc I don't know what mine is. Am going back to doc soon and will request this. Am currently taking and iron-free multivit/mineral with 100% RDA zinc.

Have just realised my stupidity for supplementing with 1000iu D3 for last 6 months but not adding cal/mag too. :oops: Will need all these looked at by doc I think.

Ooo do you like the bittersweet choc Lynda? I do too, but I do prefer milk choc. Will go back to dark choc again when on BBD.
I don't know about getting away with butter and eggs for me -they are not so good for me, when I don't eat dairy/eggs/gluten/soy/etc my energy really increases, even if I eat sugar. As a child I had a real egg allergy but that changed as I grew older. At the moment I am quite well-covered as I'm eating normally. Once on BBD I lose it all. :cry:

Thinking about my lovely Xmas cake in freezer, but with eggs in it.
And I really want a sherry trifle before I start BBD next week.
Oh the Pity Party is in full swing here :roll:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
Ernst
Family Elder

Post by Ernst »

I don't have MS, my wife has. We have been on BBD about two years now, right after her dg. What can I say.. BBD has worked incredibly well, cause symptoms disappeared during the first year. Nowadays we eat lot of salads, fruits, turkey / chicken, fish.. and berries. Everything which is super healthy and fights oxidative stress. And some supplements too: D3 (5000 iu), calcium, magnesium, omega-3... We don't feel hungry, just eat when feeling hungry. BMI is quite good nowadays. Just keep on healthy staff !
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Thanks for the encouragement Ernst.
I have started back on the BBD. One week at a time.....but even after a few days managed to do more in the day and fatigue was less.
Delighted BBD is working so well for you wife, good to hear.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

Good for you getting back on the BBD. I have been on it for about three years. I have been doing very well with my MS and I believe that helps keep me going. I read somewhere when I first started that at about the 3 or 4 year mark, people who have been doing well on the BBD start having second thoughts about the whole thing and go off only to run into MS problems again as a result. I have kept that it the back of my mind, because like everyone does at some point you just want to be able to eat anthing you want. When I do have problems with feeling hungry I eat more nuts that seems to really help.