UV waves, latitudinal studies, MS and CCSVI

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
cheerleader
Family Elder

UV waves, latitudinal studies, MS and CCSVI

Post by cheerleader »

New studies are coming out showing that UV wave exposure (rather than just simply vitamin D) might have a preventative role in MS-
Here's a study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19197935
another article:
link

Here's another-
According to University of the Wisconsin-Madison (UWM) Steenbock Research Professor of Biochemistry Hector DeLuca, vitamin D may indeed play some part in stopping MS from grabbing a hold on people. However, he proposes that UV wavelengths in the sunlight exert a more important influence on the disease. Details of his investigations, which were conducted with first author Bryan Becklund, were published in the latest online issue of the esteemed publication Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

“Since the 1970s, a lot of people have believed that sunlight worked through vitamin D to reduce MS. It's true that large doses of the active form of vitamin D can block the disease in the animal model. That causes an unacceptably high level of calcium in the blood, but we know that people at the equator don't have this high blood calcium, even though they have a low incidence of MS. So it seems that something other than vitamin D could explain this geographic relationship,” DeLuca says. He adds, however, that the new finding may not be helpful in any way. It is still too early to say whether the results will have any applications in humans or not.
link

Now, how could this understanding of UV waves be connected to CCSVI? UV rays are vasodilators. The waves react with the endothelium and produce "photorelaxation."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14614302

I've written about Nobel prize winners who discovered EDRF, nitric oxide as the endothelial relaxing factor- here are some more thoughts on their discovery vis a vis UV wavelengths from Dr. Christopher Bell-
Robert Furchgott and his colleagues noted as long ago as 1961 that exposure to light relaxed isolated arterial preparations,2 although other types of smooth muscle tissue were much less sensitive.3 The vascular photorelaxation was wavelength dependent, increasing as wavelength was reduced from the visible into the ultraviolet range and peaking at around 310 nm. In later experiments, Furchgott's group found that photorelaxation involved an increase in muscle cell cyclic GMP and that it was independent of the endothelium.4

As far as I am aware, Furchgott did not suggest on the basis of his work that ambient light intensity might affect the vasculature in vivo. Nonetheless, ultraviolet radiation can penetrate deep enough into skin to reach the microvessels,5 and the cutaneous circulation represents the site of a substantial proportion of total peripheral resistance. Although sympathetic tone has the most dramatic controlling influence on cutaneous vascular flow, it is not unreasonable to imagine that resting cutaneous vascular tone may under some circumstances also be tonically reduced by absorbed ultraviolet radiation. Withdrawal of this dilator effect when adapted individuals are translocated to a higher latitude could well increase total peripheral resistance and predispose to elevated blood pressure.
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/31/2/719

Could the latitudinal connection of MS/CCSVI be related to the UV rays affects on the vasculature, and not just vitamin D???
Anyone have some mice, paper clips and a UV machine?
cheer
Last edited by cheerleader on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
berriesarenice
Family Member

Post by berriesarenice »

Wow, this is really interesting. Does this mean tanning beds might fall into the category of things people can do while they wait to get liberated? Or do I need to re-read and re-understand?
thisisalex
Family Elder

Post by thisisalex »

Cheer,
All i can say is: WOW!
:)
great thinking!

now i undersand why my big exacerbations were always between november and february
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

The FDA is currently putting out tougher regulations on tanning beds because of the links to UV rays and melanoma...
So, I don't know what to say, Berries :?
pick your poison? My own honey has had basal cells cut off his body, he's a California boy with fair skin. But it is interesting to see the connection between latitude and UV rays as it relates to MS and CCSVI.
I wrote the doc who is doing the UV studies and sent him Dr. Zamboni's information...maybe it will give him another perspective on his research-
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Brightspot
Family Elder

Post by Brightspot »

I made a conscious decision not to go my usual extended tropical holiday this year, and opted instead for a quick trip to Mexico for an MRV, and time spent trying to access testing and treatment in Canada. Hmmmm.
This whole thing just keeps getting more interesting!
Thanks for another great post Cheerleader.
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

cheerleader wrote:My own honey has had basal cells cut off his body, he's a California boy with fair skin.
I've had basal cells cut off, too, so I avoid the sun at all costs. Oops.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

two years ago i was diagnosed with MS and then basal cell 3 weeks later.. the irony did not go without notice. ...
BBE
Family Member

Post by BBE »

The question also may be if it is UVA or UVB. Only UVB produces vitamin D. The tanning tubes in Europe are more UVA based and the ones in US should be more UVB capable. UVC is unlikely to play a healthy role.
hwebb
Family Elder

UV rays better than vitamin D alone

Post by hwebb »

this research fits my personal experience. I am newly diagnosed with MS (since Sep 09), but have been a regular relapser. I have noticed that if I get a good dose of sun (showing lotsa flesh, for max 30 minutes per "side"), my MS numbess and brain fog reduces substantially the next day. I once fell asleep with my left arm in the sun - and got about 2 hrs sunlight on that arm. My left arm has always had significantly more MS side effects than my right arm. The next day my left felt massively better than my right arm.

As an interesting side note, when I was first diagnosed I took a vitamin D "megadose" to bring my deficient level up to a reasonable level. I felt an unusual sensation low and deep in my head. Last month, I found out this was the site of my stenosis. When I had the liberation procedure, the doctor ballooned the place where I felt the "megadose sensation". I feel it's likely that vitamin D is doing something.

Helen
silverbirch
Family Elder

S A D Lamps

Post by silverbirch »

Do you think investing in one of those UV lamps ?

People that suffer from S A D Syndrome have these lamps in winter time due to their sadness when winter arrives ?
hwebb
Family Elder

UVA lifts brain fog ?

Post by hwebb »

interestingly, another thing I noticed is that when I get light directly in my eyes (even through a window), my brain fog lifts substantially. I believe UVA rays can penetrate glass.