ONWARD Trial- Oral Cladribine with Avonex

Mavenclad is an oral treatment for relapsing MS and active secondary progressive MS.
BooBear
Family Elder

ONWARD Trial- Oral Cladribine with Avonex

Post by BooBear »

I am a participant in the Oracle trial (oral cladribine, a chemo drug, twice a year with continued Avonex).

This is a double-blind study, so I don't know if I have the cladribine or not.

You take a cycle of pills over 5 days twice a year (back to back months), then nothing for 48 weeks; then the cycles repeat.

This trial is to see if the cladribine boosts Avonex effectiveness.

I qualified for the trial since I had a relapse within the year prior to the study. I had an MRI done before the study started, then a follow-up MRI six months afterwards. Unfortunately, I had two new lesions in that six months time, despite the lack of relapses.

For now, my treatment will remain unchanged until I have another MRI at the end of July. Neuro looking to move me to BS if I have anything new in six months- not a prospect that excites me. Frankly, I would rather have the liberation treatment done right now, but certainly before I inject BS every other day.

I have RRMS
Dx in 2004
Over a dozen relapses since 2004, five of them major (Optic Neuritis 3x, loss of function and feeling in left arm (function is back, feeling is not) in 2008, loss of control of my right eye in 2006 (regained full use).

Avonex since Dx
Oral prednisone and Solumedrol for relapses (2005-2009)
Solumedrol monthly for nine months (2009)
Modafinil for fatigue since 2004; stopped in 2010 due to lack of availability
Minocycline added in 2010
5000 IUs of Vitamin D3 daily
1000 IUs of Calcium daily

I will keep anyone interested updated on the trial
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

I would like to hear continuing updates.

It sounds like the MS has been pretty aggressive. You neuro doesn't recommend a treatment any more aggressive than Betaseron (I assume that's what BS means?

Was the Minocycline allowed by the trial?