Known Risks/Complications of Angioplasty and Venous Stenting

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Farmer
Getting to Know You...

Post by Farmer »

Yes it is Surrey, BC. They do the MRV only.
www.accessmri.com
LP

Post by LP »

The False Creek clinics at Vancouver did both the MRV and the Ultrasound but not the surgery.

I have another neurologist dismissed the Zamboni's findings: He said he kind of heard about it in an email but wave it off.

What I don't understand is that those who have had the surgery reported physically tangible improvements in their symptoms, so are all these patients showing irrational exuberance ???
pleezbgood

Risk vs benefit

Post by pleezbgood »

As with all medical procedures, there are risks attached to stenting and balloon insertion. However, these risks must be evaluated against the benefits. As an occupational therapist of 30 years, I have seen the devastating effects of MS to my clients. For anyone who is experiencing a regular decline in their abilities due to MS, it seems to me the benefits outweigh the risks.
L
Family Elder

Re: MS - I live in UK where they aren't impressed with treat

Post by L »

MartaPytel wrote:Who can I get in touch with so that I could go ahead with this? I understand the Professor is Polish as are my parents. Does anyone have an address/phone number for him. I am desperate to go ahead with this and need to get in touch with him to find out how the procedure works, how much it costs etc. If someone could send me this information I would be forever in their debt! Marta x
Hey Marta

It's Dr Marian Simka you want, although I think
Adres szpitala w Katowicach:

Klinika Chirurgii Naczyniowej i Endowaskularnej "Euromedic"

Katowice ul "BARTOSZA" Głowackiego 10

mariansimka@poczta.onet.pl
I think that there is quite a waiting list and he's bound to be inundated with emails so don't expect an immediate response. I think I remember that he is no longer booking appointments while a backlog is cleared so you may just receive an automated response.

There is a thread on Dr Simka here:
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-8585-co ... tml++simka

Powodzenia!
MartaPytel

I've sent an email to the good doctor

Post by MartaPytel »

Thank you for all your help in getting in touch with Marian. Appreciate how busy he is and so am waiting in hope for a reply from him a.s.a.p.!

Marta
Rici
Family Elder

Post by Rici »

Dr. Schelling wrote:
"Central fever comes off in MS (like after arterial blockages or bleedings) through direct damage of the temperature center in the hypothalamus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamus ). In venous MS it assumedly can be caused by direct pressure impulses in hypothalamic veins or liquor surges in the third ventricle. The resolution of MRV is yet too low to distiguish such causes. Because your internal jugular veins hardly have functioning valves, pressure increases of the superior vena cava (especially through strong muscle work of torso and arms) can push unhindered up against the brain. I've talked about this problem with Dr. Marian Simka in Bologna - I hope he works together with Dr. Zamboni in the complex of vein valve problems .
Regards
Rici
GM

Post by GM »

I have several questions regarding stenting risks that some of you may be able to help me with. First of all, can stents be removed? Having read through the info on this sticky, it seems as though this may be the case in emergency situations such as migration or infection. But, say fifteen years down the road, they discover a much better product, or discover long-term adversity with the stents, is removal a catastrophic ordeal, or a real possibility?
It also seems clear that vigorous movement may produce stent migration. Is this just for the first few weeks / months, or a lifelong concern? Am I correct in thinking that the lining of the vessels grows over the stent over time? Also, what about chiropractic manipulation of the neck? Would this be forever out of the question?
Thanks in advance to anyone able / willing to provide information! :D
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I do not have stents, so there are many people here more suited for answering than me, but here goes: no, stents cannot be easily removed. It is possible they could be cut out in direct jugular neck surgery. There is a concern that stents could break up into pieces over time, not sure how valid this concern is. Migration is only possible in the very beginning, before they integrate into the walls of the vein...maybe two weeks? Yes, the lining grows over the stent in time, which could even cause a reocclusion...this was the case with cheerleader's husband, so that he had to have ballooning at the stent site, not sure if this is at all common. Someone else asked about chiropractic care, not sure what the conclusion was there, maybe a search will answer that one.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
manojag22
Family Member

Post by manojag22 »

Hi, MS'ers, if you got yourself diagnosed for CCSVI or planning one, and if there is stenosis of veins, please do not allow your Dr. to put a STENT, until unless its very necessary and risk reward in favor of it, venoplasty/balooning as of now highly is reccomended.

The current stents are really not ment for veins and there are lot of side effects of blood thinning med, like Plavix and coumadin as well as aspirin. Aspirin you might hv to take it for lifetime and its very prone to create ulcers.

Please Please, evaluate option very carefully
sonia52
Family Member

Post by sonia52 »

I read somewhere that stents are made of steel. Is it true? If yes, does that mean that it will be impossible for people with stents to have MRI after stenting, for the rest of their life?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Known Risks/Complications of Angioplasty & Venous St

Post by NHE »

Many of the stents are made of Nitinol which is a nickel and titanium alloy. This alloy is non-ferromagnetic and should not cause a problem with MRI.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15971171

NHE
BELOU
Family Elder

Complications, exploding veins?

Post by BELOU »

Just saw an interview with a doctor on CBC saying that veins can explode during angioplasty and YOU CAN DIE. Wow! I have to say that few minutes after I was wondering if this statement was true... I guess it's true but not common.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

There is probably more chances that your car or plane crash going to the hospital... 8)

Aliens can send a lethal ray to the operating room also; and many others, but my imagination is clogged in the pool of blood somewhere in my jugulars... :?
BELOU
Family Elder

Post by BELOU »

Aliens can send a lethal ray to the operating room also; and many others, but my imagination is clogged in the pool of blood somewhere in my jugulars...
Don't worry for the aliens, I'm a trained part time Jedi. The force is strong in my family.
StentorKate
Getting to Know You...

lightheadedness and headaches

Post by StentorKate »

I was stented on May 15 2010, and have on occasion experienced extreme lightheadedness a feeling like I might faint, (not dizzyiness) and headaches since then.
Has anyone else had this expreience?