CCSVI - Aussie Action!

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Nean

post procedure

Post by Nean »

Hi everyone,
It is 1 month and 8 days since my procedure. I have not experienced any physical improvement so far. My thinking process and short term memory may have improved slightly. It's difficult to tell.
I had the second doppler a week ago but results haven't arrived in the post yet - will keep you posted.
Nean
sneakypuss_01
Getting to Know You...

Post by sneakypuss_01 »

Hi Gang!

I sent my MRV results to St Vincent's and this is the response I got:

'Thanks for the information. After looking at the results we cannot proceed without an ultrasound study of your jugular veins.
The MRI results are inconclusive and therefore not sufficient evidence.
After the Ultrasound is done and the report sent, we can further assess.'

Can anyone recommend a location in Sydney that does accurate Doppler ultrasounds for CCSVI?

Thanks in advance
Sneaky P
There's not brain lesions...their bright ideas.
DX July 1st 2009 RRMS
elprado

Post by elprado »

sneakypuss_01 wrote:Hi Gang!

I sent my MRV results to St Vincent's and this is the response I got:

'Thanks for the information. After looking at the results we cannot proceed without an ultrasound study of your jugular veins.
The MRI results are inconclusive and therefore not sufficient evidence.
After the Ultrasound is done and the report sent, we can further assess.'

Can anyone recommend a location in Sydney that does accurate Doppler ultrasounds for CCSVI?

Thanks in advance
Sneaky P
Check your PM
Downunder
Family Member

Post by Downunder »

Just sending my best wishes to a friend who is having his procedure in Sydney tomorrow.

Best of luck, see you on the other side!!
Jennifer
hwebb
Family Elder

best wishes from Melbourne

Post by hwebb »

it's great to know there's still some "Aussie Action" going on. Good luck my dear Sydneysider :)
snails

had doppler today

Post by snails »

I am pretty new to forums...I had a CCSVI doppler today at Melbourne radiology...both jugulars 50%+ narrowed....now what???
friday_fc
Family Member

Post by friday_fc »

So, all the people in Sydney who've had the actual angiogram/angioplasty ballooning - where are their stories/experiences during with Dr B and after ? I've been anxious to read something - unless another thread has opened up and i'm not aware of it?

Cheers
kats
Family Member

Post by kats »

Hi All,

It has been 41 days since my sons procedure with prof T.
Not much to say in terms of improvements as he has not noticed anything major. Perhaps slight bladder improvement.
Having a doppler test done with Julie next week. Will keep you guys posted of the results.
Perhaps it takes some time for some to see some improvements. We are still hoping that there will be some in the near future.
Happy for all that have had some improvements.
Good Luck to all having their procedures.

Kats
Salvatore24
Family Elder

Post by Salvatore24 »

avantitech & smokey, check your pm's or clear them out.
Opera
Family Member

CCSVI

Post by Opera »

Hi Kats

Please check your PM
avantitech
Family Member

Update

Post by avantitech »

G'day Folks,

Just an update from my appointment yesterday with PT.

1. I realise that it may appear slow going but this is the way medical research works. We are now looking at July before the results of the 30 patient study will be completed, collated and presented for evaluation to hospital & study stakeholders in order to gain approval and proceed with a further larger and better funded study.

2. The results overall appear positive with many questions left to be answered and therefore warrant further investigation. To quote WS Churchill "this is the end of the beginning" in this part of the world and the proverbial battle will go on until the logical conclusion of quantifying and delivering health benefit outcomes is reached. Hopefully parallel studies interstate and overseas will allow us PwMS to move forward.

3. I am very much aware of the variability in our small patient group's outcomes post procedure and of course would like the research to find explanations and better treatment options. I would like to explore what QOL can be achieved with further increase in my IJV blood outflow rates. Working within the original study as part of the follow up process I'm booked for a second venoplasty in 4 weeks and intend to post updates when appropriate.

4. PT has confirmed there is a need to raise funds to enable ultrasound and MR diagnostics to be conducted in-house specifically to improve ccsvi screening outcomes. I am actively exploring ways to do this in the next 2 months and I know I've got my work cut out but any advice is appreciated. All fundraising receipts must go directly to the hospital.

Cheers,
..Adolfo

P.S. I've got people's messages and will be in touch soon.
Last edited by avantitech on Fri May 14, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hwebb
Family Elder

offer of manpower

Post by hwebb »

Hey adolfo,
I wanna help with the fundraising. There are lots of ideas already explored by our cousins in North America ..such as fundraising lunches, merchandise (tshirts where the profits go to the cause), and straight out donations. We can do this :) Wonder how much we need to raise?
kezzcass
Family Member

Re: Update

Post by kezzcass »

avantitech wrote:
4. PT has confirmed there is a need to raise funds to enable ultrasound and MR diagnostics to be conducted in-house specifically to improve ccsvi screening outcomes. I am actively exploring ways to do this in the next 2 months and I know I've got my work cut out but any advice is appreciated. All fundraising receipts must go directly to the hospital.
Firstly on Fundraising. This is excellent finally somewhere meaningful we can direct funds. Can we please do a collaborative effort in this regard? There is some already working on a T-shirt to raise awareness of CCSVI for the MS Walks (via Facebook) and also discussing fund raising. It would be good not to have two groups working but rather keep the info flowing so we are not doing double the work. As more info comes to hand about T-shirts will let you know if any of you are interested.

On that note, anyone interested in getting together at the MS Walk in Melbourne pls PM me. We are putting together hopefully some pamphlets to distribute with info about CCSVI and where to get tested etc. The more on board the merrier :D

On a personal note, saw Prof T today and high fives all around. He said there is no need for me to have another ballooning at this stage as I am not showing a regression in any of my improvements. He said should that occur it would then be time to give it another go and see what happens. Having said that I am going to have an MRV to get a pretty picture of how it all looks in there anyway (probably in a couple of months).

I am encouraged after chatting with the Prof today and hearing his case for continuing to perform the procedure (which is not new nor dangerous as we all know). He is a voice of common sense and reason and no doubt he is convinced there is a link between MS and venous abnormalities.

I am still keeping well and active with nothing really further to report. The only problem I still have is slight foot tingles/numbness. My strength and stamina continue to improve.

Kerri
hwebb
Family Elder

good on you :)

Post by hwebb »

this is great news Kerri, and great advice on coordinating fundraising efforts. I really should check the ccsvi facebook australia page more often (am an occasional visitor, though regularly check in to TIMS)!
marigoldrobyn

aussie action

Post by marigoldrobyn »

my son had liberation treatment with prof T on Tuesday and still has slightly sore and swollen neck on both sides although only left jugular vein was ballooned with cutting balloon .Team at hospital were great shall update improvments in a week or so as nothing very obvious as yet