The best treatment?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

What have you found to be the most effective treatment for your MS?

Interferons
30%
Diet
No votes
supplements
10%
Other natural therapy
10%
antibiotics
20%
LDN
10%
CCSVI Treatment
20%

Total votes: 10

Courts
Getting to Know You...

The best treatment?

Post by Courts »

Hello :)
I have not tried many treatments for MS and I'm getting so confused with all the information on here and mixed experiences so I thought maybe a poll that would show us all the most successful treatment on average would be helpful. I don't know how to change it so that you can vote more then once so I guess if you're using more then one just put the one you feel is helping you the most. (If I've left something out that you think I should add please let me know)

Moderators: I'm not sure if this is the right place, please feel free to move it if I got it wrong :)
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Statins (Lipitor) has been my best (in my opinion)
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

None of the above; I will always suggest LDN; cheap as dirt and with no side effect; yet the most efficient for me

((*) We're all different; use your own judgment eventually :)
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Stents have been the most effective for me. 2nd most effective has been steroids, 3rd herbs/tetracyclines, interferons had no effect.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

have never been on DMDs, so my opinion can be biased.
I think LDN + diet is the best bet until CCSVI becomes mainstream.

Even if one has had liberation, I think diet should continue though I am not sure about LDN.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

You left out two of the most helpful - LDN & CCSVI treatment.
Courts
Getting to Know You...

Post by Courts »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I tried to add the CCSVI yesterday but for some reason it didn't add it and now the poll doesn't even show up when I try to edit the original post, anyone know how I can change it?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: The best treatment?

Post by NHE »

Hi Courts,
Courts wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I tried to add the CCSVI yesterday but for some reason it didn't add it and now the poll doesn't even show up when I try to edit the original post, anyone know how I can change it?
I had no problem viewing the poll and adding the two options. I'm not sure why it didn't show up for you. Did you scroll the page down? I know it seems obvious, but I just thought that I would check.

By the way, I haven't been tested/treated for CCSVI yet, but they'll have to pry my fish oil from my cold, dead hands.

NHE
Courts
Getting to Know You...

Post by Courts »

Thanks NHE, it showed up last night when I was trying to edit but not today for some reason :? oh well, thanks for fixing it for me :-)

Fish oil you say? I've thought about getting some of that. I asked my neuro about it yesterday but he just shook his head. He doesn't believe in anything that hasn't been proven with clinical studies :roll:
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

Courts,

Tip: Look in the Regimens section and study up!

There's alot of stuff in there worth trying! You'll never see studies on some of it because it's not profitable or Pharma related...

A/C
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
kathryn6112
Family Member

Post by kathryn6112 »

Dont know how to delete this post!
Last edited by kathryn6112 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kathryn6112
Family Member

Post by kathryn6112 »

Cure of Bust, may I ask? What dosage do you take? I just do 20mg for high cholesterol but have thought about trying a higher dose. My family doc is on board to try anything even LDN - she is cool!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: The Best Treatment

Post by NHE »

Courts wrote:Fish oil you say? I've thought about getting some of that. I asked my neuro about it yesterday but he just shook his head. He doesn't believe in anything that hasn't been proven with clinical studies :roll:
After I was diagnosed, I began to run into an plethora of anecdotal recommendations to take fish oil. There were personal recommendations from other people and recommendations in books and so on, but none had any references. I'm a "show me the data" type of person so I finally got on PubMed and did a little research of my own. The paper below was one of the first that I ran into that convinced me to give fish oil a try due to its anti-inflammatory effect. Early in my supplement regimen I would sometimes forget to take my supplements for a few days. I would notice that I was feeling really tired and run down. This tiredness would go away within a day of starting back up on my supplements. I now take 6 g/day of fish oil which provides 1800 mg/day of DHA & EPA omega-3 fatty acids.

Cytokine secretion and eicosanoid production in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of MS patients undergoing dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.
J Neuroimmunol. 1995 Feb;56(2):143-53.
  • To demonstrate the influence of n-3 PUFA supplementation on cytokine and eicosanoid production in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) of MS patients (MSP), we investigated the impact of a 6-month dietary supplementation with these fatty acids on the levels of interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta), IL-2, interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) in the supernatants of stimulated PBMCs and serum soluble IL-2 receptors in a group of 20 relapsing-remitting (R-R) MSP and a group of 15 age-matched control individuals (CI). The production of PGE2 and LTB4 in the stimulated PBMCs was also assessed in patient and control groups supplemented with n-3 PUFAs. In both groups, n-3 PUFA supplementation led to a significant decrease in the levels of IL-1 beta and TNF-alpha, and this reduction was more pronounced in the 3rd and 6th month of supplementation. An analogous decrease was observed in the levels of IL-2 and IFN-gamma produced by stimulated PBMCs, and in the levels of serum soluble IL-2 receptors. n-3 PUFA supplementation also appeared to significantly affect prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and leukotriene B4 (LTB4) production in PBMCs, both in MSP and the control group. The reduced production of these proinflammatory eicosanoids, and the decrease of some cytokines with an immunohenancing effect as a consequence of n-3 PUFA supplementation, could modulate some immune functions which have been demonstrated to be altered in MSP.
NHE
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

Courts,
Good question. Exercise is tops on my list. I'm now a Copaxone user, former LDN user, had the CCSVI stent treatment last September, former Betaseron user, and have used oral and intravenous steroids to treat exacerbations and slow progression several times.

Exercise is it. CCSVI and LDN are in second place, I feel each in turn helped me to continue exercising (I no longer take LDN, the CCSVI treatment took its place).

--Tracy
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

kathryn6112 wrote:Cure or Bust, may I ask? What dosage do you take? I just do 20mg for high cholesterol but have thought about trying a higher dose.
I am on the highest available, 80mg. I take 40mg in the morning and the other half at night. I am lucky because my liver appears to be made of stainless steel :)

I also find Steroids great and am on a monthly pulse cycle (3 days); but understand its not good for everyday use.
kathryn6112 wrote:My family doc is on board to try anything even LDN - she is cool!
Then definitely give it a go! It didn't work for me, but others have reported great results. Good luck.