Exercise following liberation?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
smokey
Family Member

Exercise following liberation?

Post by smokey »

Hi....any thoughts about exercise, type of, and frequency of, following liberation? What to do, what not to do? I do Pilates, but have been a little worried about any negative effect of the upper body exercises. This is all uncharted territory, so suggestions welcome.
SickButHappy
Getting to Know You...

Post by SickButHappy »

hello :)

I don't have specifics exercises, but I had some done to exercise major part of my body while I had (still have) MS. Therefore, the difficulty is minimal and you can increase first: the number of repetitions and second: add some weight.

The document is in Power Point. If you would like to receive a copy, I will need you email.

:)
CCSVIhusband
Family Elder

Post by CCSVIhusband »

The doctor that performed the CCSVI treatment on my wife said "you go back to your normal routine after 48 hours."

She didn't have stents ...
SickButHappy
Getting to Know You...

Post by SickButHappy »

it depends what her normal routine was. for most of us, the routine wasn't big exercises, so it's important to start slow and to add repetitions/weight.
CCSVIhusband
Family Elder

Post by CCSVIhusband »

I'm not saying people after liberation should go out and bench press 300 lbs, or run an ultra-marathon.

I'm only reporting what the doctor said ... after 48 hours, you can go back to your "normal" routine. (he did also say, watch yourself so you don't bleed because of the blood thinners).

In my wife's case, that's running about 5 miles a day, swimming some days, weight lifting some days. The doctor knew that and he was fine with it ...

She waited 96 hours "just to be safe", and that was her prerogative. But, I'm just reporting what the doctor said.

I don't think he meant, go out and do a routine you didn't do yesterday 48 hours from now. That's just silly.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Can we also drink/eat as usual?

I get a lot of alcohol daily; does he say anything about that?
SickButHappy
Getting to Know You...

Post by SickButHappy »

I am no doctor, but alcohool does change blood thickness. Harder to follow...
OK77
Getting to Know You...

Post by OK77 »

i was told to avoid exercise for 10 days and no alcohol for 2 weeks and even then, only a glass of wine. to be honest, i'm looking to quit alcohol altogether
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Thank you; interesting tho.
Mechanicallyinclined
Family Elder

Post by Mechanicallyinclined »

My doc encouraged exercise. You just want to get those muscles working that may have not been for some time. I asked him if there was anything i shouldn't be doing. Within reason, just carry on as you have.

Depending on your situation pysio therapy might be a good thing to check into. Take your time. Improvement won't happen over night.
Salvatore24
Family Elder

Post by Salvatore24 »

I'm hoping I will be able to push my body and continue training how I was a year ago before hospitalisation, which consisted of 6 days per week: 3 days weights, 3 days high intensity cardio. Exercise is good for circulation in general, you just need to find out how much your body can cope with.
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

Thanks guys....