Warfirn or Plavix

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Gordon
Family Elder

Warfirn or Plavix

Post by Gordon »

What is the general concensus.

I want to stay on Plavix but am investigating Warfirin.
Nasti
Family Elder

Post by Nasti »

Any bad side effects?
Gordon
Family Elder

FYI

Post by Gordon »

non on plavix
esta
Family Elder

Post by esta »

why consider a change then?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

what does your doctor advise, why not go with that?
Gordon
Family Elder

Evidence is still coming in

Post by Gordon »

It is a lifestyle and to thine own self be true choice. I am not the most organized, live a hectic life, and Plavix requires less maitenance.

G
esta
Family Elder

Post by esta »

gordon, thx, i hope my dr agrees when i get his perscription. the thinner from poland's equivilant is plavix.., so that's what i want. i gather with warfin, its weekly blood checks. but. maybe i'm supposed to on this too. living in oblivion is easier...for me anyways
Nasti
Family Elder

Post by Nasti »

I am on Pradaxa, 2 times a day, a pill, no side-effects...
Still, I have forgotten to take it like 10-15 times so far, no matter how much I try not to. So that is the maintenance needed, not perfect, but set your alarm clock on your cell phone to ring every night at 10 and you will not forget :) that's what I do...and no blood check-ups :)
Wallwalker
Family Member

Post by Wallwalker »

Plavix and aspirin like drugs are anti platelet drugs. As such they prevent platelet mediated clots forming in the arterial system. Hence prophylaxis for heart attacks, strokes and stents within the coronary arteries. Warfarin or heparin is used to prevent clots in the venous system, such as deep vein thrombosis in the legs. Warfarin, though much cheaper than Plavix needs regular monitoring until stable point reached ie blood tests. So here's the rub, and one reason venous stents need research. What s the likeliest mediator for a possible clot in the vein? Platelet or clotting cascade and hence warfarin or Plavix/aspirin? The Jury is out.
SPMS 20years. EDSS 6.5

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”