pulsing

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
robbie
Family Elder

pulsing

Post by robbie »

why do you pulse the Flagyl as opposed to taking it all the time? is it just easier on the system.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Hi Robbie, you are right there: there is no reason why you shoudn't take it every day if you can stand it, but I was never able to take it for more than five days. It made me too depressed..................Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Katman
Family Elder

Post by Katman »

Robbie

If you have read the other site's blogs and comments, you have probably heard how flagyl can affect us. My husband is a pediatrician and was astounded the first time I took flagyl. He sad"NORMAL people don't react to flagyl - especially like THAT!" It took me about four years before I stopped dreading flagyl pulses, and now I take 1000 mg each day. It was hard, but it worked, and I almost don't feel it at all - which amazes me every day. We are the privileged - we who have the opportunity and willingness to do it. Try not to think of the downside - there is always one - but about the tiny things you have already had and the ones that are yet to come.

Rica
2010 5 years 4 months Now on Amoxicillin, Doxy, Rifampin, Azith, and caffeine in addition to  flagyl. 90% normal good days-50% normal bad days. That is a good thing.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

I also feel rotten after about 5 or so days and then i will stop and feel good again. i still take the Doxy and do the IV every day, the nurses have showed me how so i do it myself and the nurse just comes once a week to check on the picc line.I understand now how bad Flagyl can make you feel but taking a break helps. Thanks for the replies.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

Hi Robbie,
I am doing IV pulsing. The reason I was given is that I can take a stronger dose that I otherwise could not handle and then take a break -- I take twice the dose I had been taking for 4 days, then take 3 days off. The antibiotic lasts until the restart on the following day. This also nets me 8 doses when I would have had seven.
agatha
Family Member

Post by agatha »

Hi Robbie
I have been pulsing for over a year now - it has undoubtedly got much much easier - I felt like death in the beginning - now I mainly just feel too hot - I'm hoping it will reduce my heating bills this winter! I have found I have to increase my frequency of probiotics when i'm pulsing otherwise the pulse has to stop because my stomach is sore.
We'll be interested to see how things develop for you.
Agatha

Return to “Antibiotics”