autopsies...have they been done, will they be done?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

would you allow an autopsy to promote further understanding of MS?

yes, no matter what
86%
no, no matter what
No votes
only if it was free
14%
only if it would look nice for funeral, not disfiguring
No votes

Total votes: 14

nanobot

autopsies...have they been done, will they be done?

Post by nanobot »

The best tools we have for understanding CCSVI are being used to their max potential. But there are still so many unanswered questions because doctors haven't looked at these structures after death. Why would they do an autopsy if they already knew the cause of death was MS? But, we still don't know what MS is fully. Skeptics of CCSVI won't easily listen to evidence until there are full pathologist examinations of the veins after death. It's a grim reality. I'd like to know what the substance is, that is occluding the veins. Is it white blood cells? Is it vein tissue that has grown into a spongy mass. The nature of that material will be key to finalizing the cause and cure. And, how strong are the veins? How much pressure can they take? What is clogging the veins? We will only know after death, and who will make that happen? Actually, I have dissected veins out of a cadaver's arm, and it was a fibrous mat that resembled trabecular bone only tough and leathery. It wasn't a fibrin clot. Probably it was fibroblasts. His arms had been poked beyond recognition looking for veins by phlebotomists, but he had none.
muse
Family Elder

Post by muse »

Dr Schelling had looked at these structures after death more as once. ;)
Best
Arne ...who said - YES OF COURSE!

p.s. ..not to forgot: http://www.ms-info.net/evo/msmanu/984
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

muse wrote:Dr Schelling had looked at these structures after death more as once. ;)
Best
Arne ...who said - YES OF COURSE!

p.s. ..not to forgot: http://www.ms-info.net/evo/msmanu/984
No. In fact Dr. Schelling found problems in other people samples, and requested to perform autopsies. It was denied.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MS Autopsy

Post by NHE »

Would you allow an autopsy to promote further understanding of MS?
Sure, on one condition, you gotta wait until entropy has won it's never ending battle. After that, take what you want. I won't need it.

NHE
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

In Dublin, Ireland where I live they have a 'Brain bank' that researches neurological illnesses http://www.beaumont.ie/index.jsp?p=103&n=142&a=190. I carry an alert card in my wallet to say in the case of an accident medics are to immediately contact the brain bank. If I could help in some tiny way to help unravel the mysteries of this awful illness, or even increase understanding of it, I would be happy knowing that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
bigfoot14
Family Elder

Post by bigfoot14 »

I voted yes for my wife

She has made it very clear to the whole family that this is what she wants
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I was going to say, this topic doesn't have the weight of law. But I have long thought, there should be something like this. Not a brain bank, though not long ago I would have said brain bank, but now what is needed is some way to donate whole bodies to CCSVI or just CVI researchers.

I guess the problem with that is, the returns diminish as long as you keep getting closer to knowing what's going on. Imagining something like that for cancer, there might be a surfeit of participants for a long time, but perhaps I've been fooling myself. Perhaps there is just no great demand by researchers; it would be nice to have a way to donate to appropriate uses. I guess once you're dead it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't want to be just propping up the fertilizer business. Some uses of bodies are better than that: for example I understand if you pay the freight you can assure yourself of a spot in the Body Farm.

Another objection is that you might just be giving funeral directors permission to sell whatever they can snag from your body (I hear knees and dura matter from (hopefully healthy) skulls is popular these days). Maybe there should be a way to specify "no other uses" and have a standard bunch of check-boxes, which might include broad categories like "autopsy", "medical school", "CCSVI research", "circulatory system research", "Body Farm" (if you live in Tennessee), etc. So nobody can use it for any purpose unless that box is checked. You could put an extra box for priority numbers if there were many possibilities. In fact I think I'll make up my own "no other uses" card and start carrying it. That way I can be *very* specific.

There could be a standard form that you fill out say at the estate lawyer's office, that has the above; perhaps in more detail. I guess the bottom line is that it's completely an honour system, but the more you have wishes, the better it is that you write them down and sign them.

Oh dear. Go back to your survey. I didn't intend that this distract the people the original posters were looking for.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”