False Creek ( Vancouver ) announces ccsvi study

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I think it is an imaging only study. They are accepting applicants until Sept 27 at 5 pm.

Application form is here: http://tinyurl.com/37crwmq

They will take 100 people with MS and 100 controls without MS.

I'm more excited about this imaging study than the MS Society ones! These guys have some experience in CCSVI.
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

came upon some interesting information regarding Dr. Chambers . :idea:

He was involved in doing a study that resulted in patient reported outcomes in six popular elective surgery's ..... over 5 different hospitals ..... and many doctors . [ CMAJ Sept. 3rd 2002 ]

This caught my eye :

Quote : We were disapointed by the lack of interest expressed by almost half of the surgeons in recieving patients' self-reported outcome information . This lack of interest suggests that many are not yet aware of the recent advances in the discipline of HRQOL measurement .

Some surgeons may have difficulty accepting the evidence that patients' self-reported HRQOL is a more valid outcome measure than their own impressions of outcomes .

Unquote .

HRQOL means health-related quality of life .

So it seems SOME doctors are willing to listen to their patients opinion.

This is what CCSVI is up against . And as it is a new medical condition and discovery ........ the hill to climb will be almost vertical .

I am confident Dr. Godley has appointed the right man for the job.

Mr. Success
Mike56
Family Elder

Post by Mike56 »

I signed up online yesterday.

I'm pretty excited about it too, Cece. While I doubt I'll be chosen (i'm 54) just knowing this study is being done gives me hope, and signing up makes me feel like I'm at least trying.....

Thanks for the post garyak.

Good info MrSuccess.

Mike
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

Cece wrote: I'm more excited about this imaging study than the MS Society ones! These guys have some experience in CCSVI.
Don't pin your hopes on the 7 "studies" MSS has sponsored. I think Savioe carefully avoids naming any other research that have taken off other than those 7. I don't think it is without a reason ...
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

sbr487 wrote:Don't pin your hopes on the 7 "studies" MSS has sponsored.
Yeah, this is a good point. My expectation with those studies is that the rumor (that they were chosen to disprove CCSVI, not prove it) is true. What I am looking forward to are studies that come out with pro-CCSVI results.
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

It's disappointing only those who have had MS for less than 10 years are to be included in the imaging study. I think they could learn a lot from "oldies' who have had MS for much longer.

I would think studying the veins of people who have had MS for both shorter and longer periods of time would provide far more information and knowledge.
foreignlesion
Family Member

Post by foreignlesion »

Just got the call today!!

Very excited!

I'll post an update when I get the e-mail.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

foreignlesion wrote:Just got the call today!!

Very excited!

I'll post an update when I get the e-mail.
Wow! will you travel from Saskatchewan? good job!
My scan is done.
The analysis will be blinded and you can expect to get a copy of the results once everything is done. They are being very careful. A promise of timeline was not yet available.
The False Creek team is fantastic!! All involved are working long hours into the night to get this done. The optomism and sincerity is palpable.
Jugular
Family Elder

Post by Jugular »

I wonder if they will be getting Dr. Haake to do the blood flow analysis? When I had my imaging done there I got a short and facile MRI report from a staff radiolgist and a detailed report from Dr. Haacke weeks later.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

FCS forwarded my MRI/V results to Haake too and I ended up trading emails with him and his team!

Doppler done in Albany the day after procedure contained findings measured against Zamboni criteria which I liked. I will ask FCS to present data in a similar fashion when I return in January for 3-month follow-up.

PN
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
concerned

Post by concerned »

meh.
Last edited by concerned on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

no no no no no...please don't start this again... 8O