dust
No votes
dryer lint/dust
No votes

Total votes: 4

amber

Hi

Post by amber »

My name is Amber I have MS, but MS doesnt have me.
I am a loving wife and mother, I am strong willed but not physically strong, I am making my own path
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Odors

Post by NHE »

Hi Amber,
Welcome to ThisIsMS. The smell of gasoline makes me physically ill. In fact, most organic solvents do the same. But then I worked as an auto mechanic for 10 years so I may already be saturated. But then gasoline vapors are carcinogenic so they're a good thing to avoid anyways. Once in a chemistry lab I got a brief whiff of carbon tetrachloride. Now that's some nasty stuff and the smell stuck with me for an hour or more after just a brief 1 or 2 second exposure. I once met someone that worked for OSHA who said that he liked the smell of benzene which is a known carcinogen. I found that the fact the he worked for OSHA, but still said this to be rather, almost humorously, ironic. House dust makes me sneeze so I can't recommend going around and snorting that either. It also contains a lot of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) which are the toxic flame retardents which leach out of everyday household items such as carpet, couches, curtains, plastics, etc. Since house cats spend so much time laying around and then cleaning themselves, they have high concentrations of this stuff in their blood (so do small children that spend a lot of time on the floor). Dryer lint? It amazes me that so many people ignore dryer lint for what it really is. It's the dryer wearing apart your clothes. I gave up on clothes dryers, except for things like sheets, towels and such, many years ago after a new pair of jeans only lasted a few months before they started falling apart. Now my jeans typically last about 5 years or so and my shirts even longer. Regarding odors, I also stopped using scented laundry detergent. Now the scented stuff just smells like chemicals. But that's what most fragances are that are added to soaps, detergents, etc. - phthalates which have been found to disrupt endocrine signalling. Things that smell good? The forest after a rain. The smell of falling snow. An ocean beach. Freshly baked bread. I may have rambled on a bit, but then your post was meant to be humorous, wasn't it?

NHE
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

Doesn't the poll need a negative response choice?

Return to “Introductions”