Rituximab

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
bromley
Family Elder

Rituximab

Post by bromley »

Rituximab (Rituxin) is currently being trialled for PP, SP, RR MS and targets the B cells.

Rituximab was recently approved (by the FDA) for use in severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. RA seems to have some similarities to MS in that there is differences in the levels of severity and different responses to treatments.

The following article is about Rituximab (renamed Mabthera) for RA.

Ian

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 71,00.html
Degerlache
Getting to Know You...

Post by Degerlache »

Rituximab targets non-hodgkins beta-cell lymphoma. In medical articles EBV is frequently linked to (a part of the) non-hodgkins lymphoma.

If rituximab would also be helpfull for MS, shouldn't it ring a bell for the researcher to focus even more on EBV and it's roll in MS ?

Regards,
Degerlache
Degerlache
Getting to Know You...

Post by Degerlache »

The following is pure speculation, as I am not a scientist, but as a hypothesis the benefit of statins in MS, may also go via the link of EBV.

(No need to explain I am not a strong believer of the auto-immunity strategy to combat MS)

<shortened url>
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Degerlache,

Thanks for this - I'm a big believer that EBV (Glandular Fever / Mono) has a big role in this disease (for some / many). Not just my own run-in with Glandular Fever. Dr Giovannoni at the Institute of Neurology told me that all diseases are auto-immune until the virus or bacteria is identified. He has asked me to attend an MS/EBV research seminar in May.

I was aware that EBV was implicated in some cancers. But not aware of the B Cell connection. I'm seeing my neuro tomorrow and was already going to ask about statins so your post is very timely. Antoher UK MS neuro, Dr Chaudhury has said that an EBV vaccine is needed to prevent MS.

Of course for some bacteria / other viruses might be the trigger / cause but EBV gets my vote (for me).

Thanks

Ian
Degerlache
Getting to Know You...

Post by Degerlache »

Ian,

I am very interested to hear on this site about new discoveries in the EBV area.

As we are talking about votes, concerning any future treatments, my vote goes out to PIOGLITAZONE (as a midlong term treatment until hopefully one day the real cause and an higly effective treatment will be found)

For the rather near future, PIOGLITAZONE seems promising :
- oral
- affordable
- an existing medication used by thousands diabetics with known side effects
- there are dozens of studies proving that PPARgamma agonists (as pioglitazone is) might work for MS and it is succesfully tested on EAE
- a documented stabilisation of a secondary progressive case of MS (are there other products around who did such a thing ?)

There is one small trial going on, on RR and in combination with interferon, I beleive. But why don't they do a proper test on it as a stand alone medication and also on progressive MS ??? (It looks as if for MS an affordable medication could impossibly work)

Why don't researcher also look at MS patients with diabetes, for that reason starting with PIO and examine the impact on the MS ? Looks rather logic to me. If you have contacts with the researchers, please suggest these things also.

Anyhow, if you hear/read anything on PIO, I am also very interested to find it on this site.

Regards,
Degerlache