Appointments at American Access Care

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
pklittle
Family Elder

Post by pklittle »

I'd like a ballpark timeframe as well. Have pm'd you Dr. :)
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Holly

Post by Cece »

HollyBarr wrote:Treatments:
Mondays, Fridays & Saturdays
Crunching numbers...
treatments 2x per day, 3x per week
so about 24 patients treated per month?
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

Holly, I emailed you but also thought this might be a question that is appropriate here. I know you recommend the Hotel LeBleau... however, the Super 8 appears to be just a block away from LeBleau and it's quite a bit cheaper (with breakfast included). Any problems with staying there? Thanks for your input!
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

newlywed4ever wrote:Holly, I emailed you but also thought this might be a question that is appropriate here. I know you recommend the Hotel LeBleau... however, the Super 8 appears to be just a block away from LeBleau and it's quite a bit cheaper (with breakfast included). Any problems with staying there? Thanks for your input!
no, i dont think it would be a problem. its a matter of taste and budget

as long as you stay near my home, i am ok with it
CCSVIhusband
Family Elder

Re: Holly

Post by CCSVIhusband »

On the other hand ...

<shortened url>
Just How Much are Doctors Paid to Promote Drugs?

As discussed in the CNN video above, payments received by individual doctors ranged from $100 to $300,000 since 2009.

384 doctors received payments greater than $100,000, of which
43 doctors received more than $200,000 each
As mentioned earlier, these numbers represent payments from just seven drug companies!

The industry claims it's worth every penny, which only proves that these tactics most definitely increase drug sales, by influencing physicians to change their prescription habits.

But exactly how do they do it?

What makes otherwise well educated, intelligent doctors turn their backs on their Hippocratic Oath (to do no harm) and do the complete opposite by prescribing unnecessary and potentially dangerous drugs?"
That's not even for performing a procedure and "working" ... that's just free money given for prescribing drugs.
After all, prescription drugs are responsible for an estimated 700,000 ER visits a year due to adverse drug reactions. And adverse drug reactions from drugs that are properly prescribed and properly administered cause about 106,000 deaths per year, making prescription drugs the fourth-leading cause of death in the U.S.

The truth is prescription drugs kill more than twice as many Americans as HIV/AIDS or suicide. Fewer die from accidents or diabetes than adverse drug reactions.

In light of those statistics, if all this money is spent to educate and improve patient care, how well is that working, you think?

These payments are entirely legal, and drug companies are not even required to disclose who they pay or how much. According to ProPublica, all but two of the seven companies included in their database were forced to divulge this information as part of settlements and lawsuits.

This will all change in 2013 under the new health care law, however.
CenterOfGravity
Family Member

Post by CenterOfGravity »

It's not HIS income, it's income to an organization, one that has employees to pay and equipment to buy to give the most up-to-date treatment options (VERY expensive equipment, I know Dr. Scalfani mentioned getting IVUS), building/office space to lease, utilities (don't underestimate even just how much electricity it costs to run medical equipment), insurance to pay, etc. To imply it is all about the money is to make an accusation (as well as ignorant of how business works), and to not understand the whole picture. Medicine and its costs are the way they are for a lot of reasons, and it surely is not all about lining doctors pockets with money. I have quite a few relatives and friends who are doctors, and it just doesn't work that way. Yes, many doctors make a comfortable income (as do many other professionals doing far less stressful work, as far as dealing with people's lives go). If you are just "crunching numbers", then look at the whole picture, because the way you presented it surely had an underlying agenda.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

This thread was created for us to discuss appointments and the practical side of getting treated in Brooklyn or at other AAC sites.

Has anyone heard from Holly in the last week or two? Any appointment dates getting handed out? I only know of friends here with January dates, I don't think they're up to February yet.
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

we are trying to hire a helper for holly. poor girl is so busy, working really long hours, trying to hold on to her sense of compassion and personal care. I say she should become a bit less personable so that we can increase throughput in registsration.

but it takes time to set up all our mechanisms and i dont start working full time until january 1.
and I don't have an office for me, holly, and dara our ultrasound technologist!
we have IT working on setting up automation
we need to have every policy, procedure, guideline vetted by legal
We have to train so many people, not just the doctors but also the nurse, clerical, technical staff at each center.

I do also get tired of asking for patience, but we are doing this methodically and honestly.

We are planning to create a three month schedule so that patients can know where they stand.
Bizzy
Family Member

Post by Bizzy »

I had this procedure done by Dr. Sclafani in Brooklyn, NY. The only thing my husband and I thought of, was how lucky we were to have someone so compassionate, smart and caring. The whole team at the clinic were wonderful and professional and I could not have gotten any better care.

It was worth every penny!

Sue
msjen
Family Member

Post by msjen »

I heard from Holly today - Hooray! I know she's super swamped so am hoping it gets better in the new year for every one.

Malden & Lyon - You both have good points sometimes, so would you mellow out on the arguing and bringing up stupid stuff? It may be good for people to know that the CCSVI procedure is not always a miracle, but I don't think you are helping anyone by the some of the stuff I've seen posted on TiMS.
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

drsclafani wrote:
newlywed4ever wrote:Holly, I emailed you but also thought this might be a question that is appropriate here. I know you recommend the Hotel LeBleau... however, the Super 8 appears to be just a block away from LeBleau and it's quite a bit cheaper (with breakfast included). Any problems with staying there? Thanks for your input!

Thanks, Dr Sclafani! Heck, if it were summer I'd be happy to stay in a cardboard box on your lawn :lol: I am thrilled that I'll be treated by the BEST (my opinion/not up for debate).
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

newlywed4ever wrote:
drsclafani wrote:

Thanks, Dr Sclafani! Heck, if it were summer I'd be happy to stay in a cardboard box on your lawn :lol: I am thrilled that I'll be treated by the BEST (my opinion/not up for debate).
thanks, but my lawn is a bus stop
hopeful2
Family Member

Post by hopeful2 »

I spoke with Holly last week (Cece you asked). I'm scheduled for early January---and have received helpful info on what to expect.

I'd camp out in a cardboard box in front of your home too, Dr. Sclafani, and talk to folks waiting at the bus stop. Is there a bench there or something to sit on?

Patrice
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

Spoke with Holly yesterday...discussed process, registry data collection, and tracking system. I hope to get a Feb slot with Richmond.
It's a paradigm shift
simone
Family Member

Post by simone »

HollyBarr wrote:
HappyPoet wrote:Holly, congratulations on your new position and welcome.

A magnificent match. A wonderful worker. A fantastic fit. An empathic employee. A perfect pairing. An omniscient offer. A CCSVI career. An excellent endeavor. A great gal. A terrific team. A lovely lady. A jammin' job. A happy hiring!

~HP
'Course I didn't ask for a penny more than my former salary and I'm working twice as hard BUT... Seriously I'm beside myself with happiness to have the opportunity many never get: a job doing something I really, really care about. Someone made a terrible mistake today in terms of scheduling their time efficiently: they asked me what I'm now doing for a living. An hour and a half later I had both of us in tears. Conviction and determination bring out strong feelings in people...

But I digress. Thank you, HP, for your gracious acknowledgement!

Sorry to back track but I just found this thread.
Your dedication Holly brings me to tears as well. Sure hope to meet you and Dr. Sclafani some day, what a team in deed.
Wishing continued joy and fulfillment.
Hope you get some good help too.

Sent in the filled out application quite some time ago but have not heard if you received it, should i have heard from you?