Coffee good or bad?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
WantingToKnow
Getting to Know You...

Coffee good or bad?

Post by WantingToKnow »

Hi! :) I have a question, is coffee good or bad for ms? I hear its bad sometimes and i hear its good sometimes? I don't currently drink it, but if its good, then I'll start lol Thanks
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, i would say 'everything in moderation'. what have you heard to suggest coffee is good for ms? i do drink coffee, but it's a diuretic. i've heard it suggested that one serving of coffee cancels out two servings of water.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

if you have bladder issues, coffee will exacerbate things and make holding your water challenging.
WantingToKnow
Getting to Know You...

Post by WantingToKnow »

Thanks for the replies! :) I havent really heard that coffee was good for ms, just caffeine. If you search "caffeine good for ms", a lot of articles come up. :)
WantingToKnow
Getting to Know You...

Post by WantingToKnow »

Oh, and if you look a few topics under this one, theres a topic called "caffeine" and that lists some benefits. :)
Lydia_S
Getting to Know You...

Post by Lydia_S »

Coffee made him really tensed. Although he found a brand of coffee that he can enjoy without feeling like there is a war inside him. (That's the expression he used)
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

I think there have been other studies suggesting that caffeine has positive effects on the brain (not necessarily specific to MS), such as:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7326839.stm