Euromedic Poland and the Azygous vein - please help!

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
hopeful123
Getting to Know You...

Euromedic Poland and the Azygous vein - please help!

Post by hopeful123 »

Hi everyone,

I was treated by angioplasty at Euromedic Poland last summer and am going back for a checkup very soon.

Just my left jugular vein was ballooned.

I am looking for people's thoughts on one issue.... Basically, can I trust Euromedic to do a thorough check of the azygous vein? The price for a repeat procedure if I need it is now between €4,000 and €4,800 depending on whether a cutting balloon or stent is used. It feels like a lot of money to spend if I am not sure that they are going to do a thorough job....

They told me at my initial procedure that my azygous was fine. After the procedure, I did feel much better, but still felt that there wasn't a total improvement in circulatory issues and that something may have been missed. As far as I know, none of the 6 patients who were treated on the same day as me were told they had any problems with their azygous. However, seeing the Essential Health Clinic's figures of 95% of patients with problems with the azygous, and reading that Dr. Zamboni seems to have found a high rate also, I am wondering whether Euromedic are properly dealing with it.

I would be so grateful of any thoughts!
Thank you!
eric593
Family Elder

Post by eric593 »

Do you have the venogram images that you can run by a local doctor to see if they see any problems in your azygous?
hopeful123
Getting to Know You...

Post by hopeful123 »

eric593 wrote:Do you have the venogram images that you can run by a local doctor to see if they see any problems in your azygous?
Thanks Eric. I don't know where I'd find a doctor to assess them.... There is nobody here dealing with this issue. I showed my neurologists the MRV and all they did was try to convince me it was an MRA!! Not very helpful.

I also couldn't open the cds of the procedure on my computer here.
Rici
Family Elder

Post by Rici »

Hi
Give you exact the answer this test:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravascular_ultrasound
Regards
Rici
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

The Essential Health clinic have increased their treatment costs as part of the pre procedure scans will now include a CT scan looking specifically at the azygos.

Maybe worth going that route if you're unsure about Euromedic.

In Emma's case she has quite a substantial narrowing at the junction of the Azygos and the superior vena cava - it was a very substantial narrowing.
bettyboop

Re: Euromedic Poland and the Azygous vein - please help!

Post by bettyboop »

hopeful123 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was treated by angioplasty at Euromedic Poland last summer and am going back for a checkup very soon.

Just my left jugular vein was ballooned.
I am looking for people's thoughts on one issue.... Basically, can I trust Euromedic to do a thorough check of the azygous vein? The price for a repeat procedure if I need it is now between €4,000 and €4,800 depending on whether a cutting balloon or stent is used. It feels like a lot of money to spend if I am not sure that they are going to do a thorough job....

They told me at my initial procedure that my azygous was fine. After the procedure, I did feel much better, but still felt that there wasn't a total improvement in circulatory issues and that something may have been missed. As far as I know, none of the 6 patients who were treated on the same day as me were told they had any problems with their azygous. However, seeing the Essential Health Clinic's figures of 95% of patients with problems with the azygous, and reading that Dr. Zamboni seems to have found a high rate also, I am wondering whether Euromedic are properly dealing with it.

I would be so grateful of any thoughts!
Thank you!
Try this time ballooning right jugular vein. Azygous can wait (if they are still fine).
BB.
sunlounger
Family Elder

Post by sunlounger »

Ive had 2 treatments in Poland Jan/May and both times they said my azygous is fine even though I have progressive M.S,

I managed to get Dr Haacke's full MR protocol done here in the U.K before I went to Poland and this July I sent the images to Dr Haacke and he kindly did a report for me showing various problems inc my azygous has a narrowing,

I contacted Euromedic as my 6 months check up was due and sent them Dr Haacke's report showing clear evidence I have a problem with my azygous vein,

After waiting 2 month I had a reply saying,

"the doctors responded that from their side everything that could have been
done was done. The treatment at Euromedic is provided to jugular veins and
azygos vein, lumbar veins are not treated.

To check the azygos vein during the check-up, MRI scan can be done, it's 480
zł. Check-up doppler of jugular veins is free of charge, together with eye
exam and neurologist visit."

I'm going to wait my turn for an appointment at EHC
Last edited by sunlounger on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You might find that you’re not lost
Katie41
Family Elder

Post by Katie41 »

Last March, Dr. Simka and Dr. Ludka checked and ballooned my azygos vein in two places. Both places have stayed open for the past 9 1/2 months.
hopeful123
Getting to Know You...

Post by hopeful123 »

Katie41 wrote:Last March, Dr. Simka and Dr. Ludka checked and ballooned my azygos vein in two places. Both places have stayed open for the past 9 1/2 months.
Thank you so much for letting me know Katie. That is great to know. You're the first person I've heard of having their azygous vein treated in Poland which is reassuring. Glad to hear it has stayed open for you.
hopeful123
Getting to Know You...

Post by hopeful123 »

EJC wrote:The Essential Health clinic have increased their treatment costs as part of the pre procedure scans will now include a CT scan looking specifically at the azygos.

Maybe worth going that route if you're unsure about Euromedic.

In Emma's case she has quite a substantial narrowing at the junction of the Azygos and the superior vena cava - it was a very substantial narrowing.
Thank you EJC. I hadn't realised a CT scan could look specifically at the azygous. I would like to go to the EHC but feel it's too expensive, given that I've already spent approx €7,000 in Poland. Maybe one day!
hopeful123
Getting to Know You...

Post by hopeful123 »

sunlounger wrote:Ive had 2 treatments in Poland Jan/May and both times they said my azygous is fine even though I have progressive M.S,

I managed to get Dr Haacke's full MR protocol done here in the U.K before I went to Poland and this July I sent the images to Dr Haacke and he kindly did a report for me showing various problems inc my azygous has a narrowing,

I contacted Euromedic as my 6 months check up was due and sent them Dr Haacke's report showing clear evidence I have a problem with my azygous vein,

After waiting 2 month I had a reply saying,

"the doctors responded that from their side everything that could have been
done was done. The treatment at Euromedic is provided to jugular veins and
azygos vein, lumbar veins are not treated.

To check the azygos vein during the check-up, MRI scan can be done, it's 480
zł. Check-up doppler of jugular veins is free of charge, together with eye
exam and neurologist visit."

I'm going to wait my turn for an appointment at EHC
This is really interesting Sunlounger..... Thank you. Was it a severe narrowing that you had in your azygous? Is there any way they could have missed it if they'd been looking for it properly?

I don't fancy paying another 480zl for an MRI! Do you know, should it have shown up on the MRV that they did?

I would like to go the EHC too but feel I have paid Euromedic a lot of money already....
hopeful123
Getting to Know You...

Re: Euromedic Poland and the Azygous vein - please help!

Post by hopeful123 »

BettyBoop wrote:
Try this time ballooning right jugular vein. Azygous can wait (if they are still fine).
BB.
Thanks BB - I'll see what the scans show up!
Dawna
Getting to Know You...

Re-treatment

Post by Dawna »

I was treated at Euromedic in May 2010.. they said nothing was wrong with my azygous. I was just retreated in WA State in Jan 2011 and was told that my azygous was 80% blocked. Makes one go hmmmm.
NotFound
Family Elder

Post by NotFound »

My azygous was completely missed in Poland, though not Euromedics, but Dr. Kostecki.

I got a second opinion upon arrival back to USA. Interestingly, the assessment of the stenosed azygous was made from the MRV done in Poland, but I had another Dr. (in USA) analyse it and clearly point out the place where the vein appeared "severely pinched"

I just put the image into my avatar, but am including a big one in this post. This image is from Pacific Internetionalists (I got treated there in December).

My azygous was more than 90% blocked - twisted about itself. It did not stay open when ballooned, so I have a 6mm stent now.

Here's the before and after of my azygous (almost a text book case)

Miia
Getting to Know You...

Post by Miia »

I'm gettin really pissed off! I'm also a patient of Euromedic and when I was going there the first time in May 2010, I was 85 % sure, there MUST be something wrong with my azygous because of my symptoms. But they found a stenosis only in my right IJV and it was ballooned. I trusted them so much that thought maybe it was me that was wrong. Second time in November, they didn't even recheck it.

Based on your stories, now I'm again 85 % sure my azygous is not fine.

Is it possible to send the MRV and the venograms to some doctor somewhere else? Haache?

Hopeful123 and you other people, thank you very much for sharing your stories!!