Avonex without side effects

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
growing2boys
Family Member

Avonex without side effects

Post by growing2boys »

Just wanted to post that I bit the bullet for my kids & took my first Avonex shot last night. I agonized over the decision because of what I have read about the horrible side effects.

I have an ulcer so I took a Prilosec OTC (generic) 4 hours before my shot. Then I took 400mg of Ibuprophen (generic) 2 hours before my shot with 1 generic Benadryl (yes of course generic ) I drank a full glass of water at least every 2 hours the day of my shot.

I had a tiny bit of a fever during the night- I just felt a bit warm, but my room was very cool (68F) I slept very well. My husband brought me 400mg of Ibuprophen & another Prilosec at 4am when he got up for work.

I woke up at 530am 100% normal (for me anyway). No side effects at all.

I know this is only my first shot. I know I may be the exception to the rule. However I wanted to post this for those considering start up. I think that often people who post on forums are having a very hard time with their disease & those doing stellar are off enjoying life. I love these forums & I do often lean on them for support, but maybe keeping that in mind can help with some things.

I will post again if things change for me. Right now Avonex beats Copaxone for me hands down.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Avonex without side effects

Post by NHE »

growing2boys wrote:Just wanted to post that I bit the bullet for my kids & took my first Avonex shot last night. I agonized over the decision because of what I have read about the horrible side effects.

I have an ulcer so I took a Prilosec OTC (generic) 4 hours before my shot. Then I took 400mg of Ibuprophen (generic) 2 hours before my shot with 1 generic Benadryl (yes of course generic ) I drank a full glass of water at least every 2 hours the day of my shot.

I had a tiny bit of a fever during the night- I just felt a bit warm, but my room was very cool (68F) I slept very well. My husband brought me 400mg of Ibuprophen & another Prilosec at 4am when he got up for work.

I woke up at 530am 100% normal (for me anyway). No side effects at all.

I know this is only my first shot. I know I may be the exception to the rule. However I wanted to post this for those considering start up. I think that often people who post on forums are having a very hard time with their disease & those doing stellar are off enjoying life. I love these forums & I do often lean on them for support, but maybe keeping that in mind can help with some things.

I will post again if things change for me. Right now Avonex beats Copaxone for me hands down.
It's good to hear that your research into blocking the side effects seems to have worked for you. My first shot was the worst. I followed the advice of my doctor's nurse and just took some Tylenol. It was mostly ineffective. I was essentially incapacitated for 18-24 hours. At the peak, all I could do was lay on my bed with an ice pack on my forehead and watch the color blobs float around on my ceiling. Afterwards, I called my doctor's office and told them if this is what it was going to be like every injection, then I didn't think that I could do it. The nurse then told me that "oh, ibuprofen sometimes works better for some people." Great. Why didn't they tell me this in the beginning? Still, even with ibuprofen, the first 1.5 years was very difficult. I eventually figured out that my body does better if I injected around noon so that I was awake during most of the side effect period. It seemed that my body did not thermoregulate very well when I tried to sleep on Avonex. I often got fevers, chills and shakes. One time I woke up shaking so bad I could barely walk to the bathroom just across the hall.

NHE
growing2boys
Family Member

Post by growing2boys »

HI NHE,
I'm sorry any of us have to deal with any of this.

I did my second shot last night & wanted to update. I did wake up at 3am with very bad chills after taking my shot a 8pm. I took 2 Ibuprophen, wrapped myself in an extra blanket & put a heating pad on my chest. They stopped in about 1/2 hour & I was able to go back to sleep. I feel fine this morning.

So, still so far so good. I had horrible site reactions with Copaxone (welts the size of golf balls, itching, stinging...that all turned into hard knots the size of lima beans that never went away)
One rugged night for me is much better then the daily horror.

I guess the moral of the story is to find what's right for you. I hate taking these meds & I will quit them once my kids get older.

Thanks everyone....
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

Hi, it took a few months for the side effects to settle. Shivers, feeling seriously BLAH, and intense stomach aches. When I first injected, the side effects lasted about 12 hours. They still do but are a lot less intense. Usually. Occasionally I still get a bad reaction. I use Panadol.