CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Dr. Flanagan
Is there any device which can track signals through our nervous system to determine where the interruption is? I'd like to know if my problem is at the lesion in my brain, or in my neck which is slightly out of kilter or in my spine near the herniated disc. I guess a lot of us would have similar questions.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello David,
Aside from very accurate CT and MRI scans, which are by far the best means of determining level in the brain and cord, the next best method isn't a device but a good physical exam.

If the problem is in the brain and cord there would be upper motor neuron signs such as hyper reflexes in your muscles, Babinski and Hoffman signs etc. Cranial nerve tests and signs provide additional clues. If the problem is due to a disc pinching a nerve the reflexes would be hypo or slow and their would be nerve root signs and symptoms. The arm and leg muscles further clue you in as to the level in the cord where the problem occurs. Sensory testing for touch and vibration etc. narrows it down even more. EMG's also provide clues.
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

Dr. Flanagan,
I thought it made more sense for me to move over to this thread and I see there is some discussion of Chiari over here. Is there a NUCCA chiropractor that uses the cox 7 table in either Columbus, Valdosta, Atlanta, or Macon which are the larger towns near where we live.The Chiari One website provides some very useful information. I rely on my husband to drive me which seems to have become more difficult for me these days and was trying to take his time into consideration. CINE at Emory Thursday of this week. Not unhappy with Dr. Lee but just wondering if I am I receiving benefit from this approach or if the cox 7 table may be better. Or maybe I'm just impatient. Atlanta would be a major inconvenience (3 hours one way). Guess we live in no mans land.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hi Coach,

Most NUCCA doctors stick to the upper cervical spine.

You can go to the Cox Technique website and look for doctors in your area but many are inactive and there is no way to determine who has the latest version of the Cox 7 Table.
The Cox Technique website is:http://www.coxtechnic.com/patients.aspx

They do list one doctor in the perimeter of Atlanta who is certified in the techique and owns the Cox 7 Table. The link is below. http://www.crosschiropracticcenter.com/

There are two other similar tables but its hard to find doctors who own them. Eventually I will be contacting the manufacturers for names.

Before considering other options you should wait and see what the cine MRI shows.
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Question for those who now have their 'heads on straight' and a question for Dr. Flanagan....

To the patients: Do you know when the adjustment goes out?

To Dr. Flanagan: My adjustment went out in May from a fall. It took 3 adjustments for it to be corrected, during which time I felt awful. The fall happened on a Saturday and the first adjustment was on Tuesday.

I'd rather not repeat the weeks of feeling awful if I can, so from your experience, is it better to seek an adjustment ASAP or wait longer? Maybe there is no ideal schedule, but I'm hoping from your years of practice there is some indication of the best course.. Yea, I'm out again, but not from a fall. :cry:
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thanks Hannakat.
Dr. F after watching the videos of Dr Dickholtz I am now of the view that the ill feeling is because of adjustments that have not accurately realigned the misalignment. May be xrays after would become necessary for the best care policy.
What is you opinion Dr. F and Dr. K?
Regards Nigel
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

as a patient, I know when my atlas goes out of alignment because my neck gets sore, i see my shoulder gets higher, and i notice my head tilts

i believe after a fall rexraying must be done. like me, I fell today and im gonna go see my ucc dr for xrays and an adjustment
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

hannakat wrote: To the patients: Do you know when the adjustment goes out?

To Dr. Flanagan: My adjustment went out in May from a fall. It took 3 adjustments for it to be corrected, during which time I felt awful. The fall happened on a Saturday and the first adjustment was on Tuesday.

... is it better to seek an adjustment ASAP or wait longer?
Hello Hannakat,
Your particular condition and misalignments make you a little more vulnerable than most people, which can slow healing down.

As a patient I get warning signs that I am due for an adjustment and I know I am due for one now. My right leg starts to foul up. Oftentimes my jaw starts to go awry and I bite the inside of my cheek while chewing. Neck and low back stiffness are signs of trouble as well.

As a doctor I recommend patients come in for care as soon as possible. No one ever left my office feeling worse. They typically got quick results after the first visit and better day by day. In addition to adjustments, however, I also used physiotherapy, such as several different types of muscle stim, ultrasound or combinaiton of both on strains and sprains to speed up healing of injured tissues. For contusions and other stagnancy issues I used Traditional Chinese Medicines to "vitalize" the blood.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

NZer1 wrote: ... after watching the videos of Dr Dickholtz I am now of the view that the ill feeling is because of adjustments that have not accurately realigned the misalignment. May be xrays after would become necessary for the best care policy ...
I used my own brand of upper cervical which is a hybrid of HIO upper cervical and craniopathy. Consequently, I didn't use post x-rays in my practice. Instead, I used dailiy patient reports along with specific chiropractic, orthopedic and neurological exams. Given a choice, in your case Nigel I would prefer NUCCA analysis and post x-rays to check for changes. Good NUCCA doctors make significant structural changes quickly as seen on post x-rays after the first adjustment.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thanks Dr. .
If I ask for xrays after my adjustment what sort of response am I likely to get?
Thanks Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Your welcome. If you are going to see Dr. Dobson or anyone else using a different upper cervical technique it is best to let them decide when it is appropriate to take a post x-ray.
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Thanks Dr. Flanagan. Dr. Dave feels as you do and I'm going back tomorrow morning. I hope one adjustment will put it right this time since there wasn't additional trauma. I don't mind having the scheduled followup visits, I just don't want the added problems it causes now if the adjustment goes out.

It seems that my upper lip is my indicator. (hahahaa) It immediately goes numb and tingly, which I really don't understand but it is what it is! It's as clear as having a bell ring....no question. Well, I guess I should wait to say that until AFTER my evaluation tomorrow!
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Your welcome hannakat.
I can relate to the upper lip numbness. It is caused by irritation (most likely mild compression in your case) of the trigeminal cranial nerve. The trigeminal is the main sensory nerve of the face but it also controls the muscles used for chewing. It is particularly vulnerable to compression from head and neck misalignments. I had bilateral trigeminal neuralgia which is very unusual. The novacaine-like numbness was worse on the right but also on the left. I also had trismus (painful opening) and pain on chewing. Chewing matzos was like biting down on stones.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi Dr. Flanagan,

I saw this comment by Joan Beal (cheerleader) on the "Great Brain Drain" entry on the CCSVI in Multiple Sclerosis Facebook page, and I thought you and your readers would want to know. :)
CCSVI in Multiple Sclerosis wrote:Here's another great article on the link to CCSVI by Dr. Flanagan http://uprightdoctor.wordp​ress.com/2010/09/03/crania​l-veins-and-brain-cooling/
Well deserved, Dr. Flanagan, well deserved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit: Within the quoted section, extraneous computer code somehow keeps being inserted into the link to Dr. Flanagan's website. I suggest copying the link into one's browser.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

look at that crazy guy leaving those comments on her fb post, lol :)