Updated Forum!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
brog64
Getting to Know You...

Re: Updated Forum!

Post by brog64 »

Arron wrote:Hi all,

Welcome to our newly updated forum. This is MS has been around for nearly 10 years, and our software was becoming an antique. I have upgraded us to the latest version of our existing forum software, which unleashes a host of new features and usability improvements. We should NOT have lost any posts, and your existing username and passwords should still work.

Please play around with it and report bugs-- I expect there will be many as we work through the kinks.

Thank you always for your support and usage of This is MS.

Hi and Congrats on the new update for the site. Very nice to use! :thumbup:

One suggestion: rather than BBcode for formatting in the reply boxes can you switch it over to Rich Formatting or Wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)?

Otherwise great job and a very seamless transfer. :-D

Brog64
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Not liking the new format. The compactedness of the board before made it usable and friendly for me. This is not.

Progress....there's always junk left behind. At least nothing too important or missed by many.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Hannakat, sorry to hear that... There are actually a few different display options you can try that have completely different looks and feels. If you go to your user control panel on the top right, go to board preferences, and you can choose another "theme"... if you can't find one you like let me know and I'll try to acquire it!
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

hi Lyon, I'm noticing that too. The issue there is that there are literally hordes of folks that write software to automatically find, register, and post spam. pathetic, really. Now that we're using a different version of infrastructure, we have to observe, learn and tweak to defeat it. I've already made a series of adjustments that should have started to curb it, and have ideas for a few more. Please keep reporting it and we will win!
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
rainer
Family Elder

Post by rainer »

Looks good. Can I throw out a vote for a viral/virus board? There seems to be no shortage of EBV/herpes and MS research coming through. I leave it up to the mods judgement, otherwise I will continue posting in General.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

The actual forum looks good, but I'm finding it tricky to navigate to private messages - you have to go to User Control Panel and then wind your way thru to the in box. Is there an easier way?
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

tzootsi wrote:The actual forum looks good, but I'm finding it tricky to navigate to private messages - you have to go to User Control Panel and then wind your way thru to the in box. Is there an easier way?
tzootsi, I just click on "0 new messages" at the very top of the screen. It doesn't look like it takes you there, but it does.
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

Still trying to get used to new format. I'm sure some of the new features are a plus but I had gotten used to the old format. Guess I'd better put on my learning cap and spend some time familiarizing myself with the new. Beginning to understand how my parents generation must have felt when they had to learn the new things that came along.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Hi Coach! I totally understand... and I tried to keep as much the same as possible, but we are talking a quantum leap in software versions. One thing I can recommend is that there are four different 'layouts' or 'themes' you can try. Each one has a very different way of displaying the data and interface. You can try them on for size (I recommend trying "Minimal" in your case) by going to your "user control panel" (link is near the logo up top) and then go to 'board preferences'... you'll see a dropdown selector for "themes"-- pick each one and navigate around and stick with one that you like best.

One thing this upgrade provides us is a lot more choice. Sometimes that's good, sometimes overwhelming! I'm trying to strike a good balance.

All my best!
harry1
Family Member

Post by harry1 »

New site looks great arron !!!

While i don't have MS i do have CIDP (Chronic Inflamatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy) since 1996 which is a very similar disease although usually motor neuron related and so i'm always over here reading all the latest in MS research and also others experience with diet and supplements etc.

Anyway keep up the great work guys !!!
koopico
Family Member

Post by koopico »

Arron, thanks for updating this! It looks great!
:-D
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Awww thanks guys! The kind words mean a lot!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there arron - just curious i am seeing a couple years worth of posts apparently gone.

i only noticed because i search for people asking me questions by searching all the forums for posts containing jimmy*

for the first day or so i was only getting 2007 results. now the search does return the last few posts containing 'jimmy' or similar, since the upgrade started up. just wondering if more than a couple hours of site content was lost?

really digging some of the new features - still working on making the report thing work on my end, but that will be soooo handy!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote:hey there arron - just curious i am seeing a couple years worth of posts apparently gone.

i only noticed because i search for people asking me questions by searching all the forums for posts containing jimmy*

for the first day or so i was only getting 2007 results. now the search does return the last few posts containing 'jimmy' or similar, since the upgrade started up. just wondering if more than a couple hours of site content was lost?
If I search for jimmylegs as an author, I get all 348 pages of your posts going back to March 12, 2006.

NHE