monthly cost of Ampyra in Australia

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
Becia
Getting to Know You...

monthly cost of Ampyra in Australia

Post by Becia »

is any body who live in Australia and take Fampyra? i need to know about the cost
thanks
Last edited by Becia on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brog64
Getting to Know You...

Re: monthly cost of Ampyra in Australia

Post by brog64 »

I don't know Becia but my neuro did indicate a LOT and not affordable without PBS subsidy. There is no Product Familarisation Program with this one as there is with Cladribiine so if we can't pay, we don't get. :sad:

Hope you are doing OK,

Belinda
seeva
Family Elder

Post by seeva »

hi friend my neuro met the marketing company in AUSTRALIA last week and the company agreed to give in a special price this AMPYRA within 2 weeks. hoping we can bye
at a rate of $650/ month.
regards
seeva :roll:
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

If you want 4AP (ie the active ingredient in Ampyra), it may be a LOT cheaper to get it compounded. I am not sure, but I think I paid around $100-$150 for 100 capsules at 5mg.

There is actually a substance of 4-AP-3-MeHO which is suppose to be a LOT more effective, and someone here in Australia has already had it compounded.
Becia
Getting to Know You...

Post by Becia »

Thanks all for the posts but still not clear. If anyone bought fampyra in au?

Careorbust, who told you about compound? Are you taking it and what reaction you have? Very interesting .

Thanks all
Cheers
Becia
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Becia wrote:Cureorbust, who told you about compound? Are you taking it and what reaction you have? Very interesting .
I actually found out that it could be compounded by someone on this site, a few years back (forgot who). I rang a compounding pharmacy near Sydney that compounded LDN and also compounded Procarin and they found they could source the 4-AP for compounding. It was a small improvement, but it was a definite positive for me :YMPARTY: I was taking it when I was at my worst, so it really helped me feel less disabled; a big bonus. However, after some time I didnt think i felt as much improvement as I originally did; either because I naturally bounced back, OR because I actually heard it had a short shelf life. who knows :-\ I also read that it MAY hinder recovery. So I stopped. Do a search, I was using it a few years back.

As for reactions, if you take too much too fast (I got it compounded in 5mg slow release capsules, but I would guess the commercial product is a lot better) I noticed a slight "buzzy"/jittery feeling (dont forget this is bird poison :YMSICK: ). I also found it harder to sleep if I took it close to bedtime. But the big thing was, it definitely helped me feel less disabled. It was fairly easy to get, and cheap (from memory, especially if the chemist can get a few to cover his initial stock costs), but I would be really looking at this other stuff from what I have heard (20x more effective :-? )