the rest of the B complex

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yup. the b complex is one of the stinkiest vitamin supplements when it's still in the jar, and it doesn't change much on the way through the works :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
laura383
Family Member

Vitamin B6 excess

Post by laura383 »

Hi All,

I was recently tested for vitamin B6 levels, because I was worried I was deficient.

Turns out I am way too high (over 100 because the scale my lab uses only goes that high. Reference range 2.0-32.8 mcg/L.

Turns out excess B6 is toxic to the nervous system. Peripheral neuropathy, lack of balance, trouble walking. Sound familiar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6_excess

I recently corresponded with a woman who had high B6 levels after supplementing with a B complex vitamin. She said the blood levels come down in a few weeks once you stop supplementing, then it has to come out of the tissues (and will with exercise) and then the nerve damage has to repair. Here is a thread she posted on

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/ ... show/13007

Laura
jackD
Family Elder

Re: Vitamin B6 excess

Post by jackD »

The B levels may return to normal BUT the nerve damage is usually permanent!!!

jackD
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

Actually not, especially given how myelin will repair.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yep it's known that supplementing over 100mg of b6 in the long term can cause peripheral neuropathy.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

Hi jackD, I don't mean to be argumentative with you. Myelin is just so plastic and regenerates so much. I have seen MRI's change so much, that I don't think that's a problem. But you have the right to your viewpoint, and I will not dispute that.

Laura
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

I am NOT talking about myelin damage.

Excess Vitamin B6 can damage the NERVE ROOTS.

"The nerve problems due to vitamin B6 toxicity are often reversible once the vitamin is stopped. However, very high doses (especially if taken chronically) can cause permanent damage."

jackD
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

Ok.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Vitamin B6 toxicity can also cause a loss of proprioception.

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/ ... ses-2a.htm

Not only does loss of proprioception elicit Romberg's sign, Webster defines it as "the reception of stimuli produced within the organism." In a nutshell, proprioception is the body's awareness of itself regarding movement, position and also applied force.

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

the takeaway point is, don't high dose B6 (eg as per the klenner protocol) for the rest of your life! taking a daily b50 complex is not likely to cause problems. taking a b100 complex every day for ever might be problematic since any b6 in your diet pushes you up above 100mg.
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

Hi, I guess I just personally believe (and am not foisting my beliefs off on anyone else) that outcomes can be mutable and are not fixed. The woman I emailed with who had high levels of B6 recovered fully, though it took 5 years.

I should have said it earlier, but my internet has been down.
Brennen1

Post by Brennen1 »

My doctor recommended it for morning sickness. So, I have been taking 1 100mg tablet in the morning. There is also 100% of the daily recommended amount of b6 in my multi-vitamin, and once or twice a day, I suck on b-natal nausea lozenges that have 25mg of b6. Is this too much b6 per day, and is it harmful?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you're a bit over the top for one, but you're also dosing for two right, and not forever. i think you're okay, but you might want to research on google scholar re pyridoxine toxicity. i'll find a study or two if i can and relay.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

2018 study Re: the rest of the B complex

Post by jimmylegs »

my institution doesn't subscribe :S

Is there a Link between Vitamin B and Multiple Sclerosis?
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/contenton ... 2/art00009

Background: Damage to the myelin sheath (demyelination) is one of the main manifestations of multiple sclerosis (MS). Interestingly, both MS and vitamin B deficiencies result in severe myelin degeneration, leading to loss in neuronal signal transmission.

Objective: Deficiency in vitamin B complex vary, although common symptoms include fatigue, increased oxidative stress, inflammation and demyelination. In particular, vitamin B12 (cobalamin) has had increased attention for its role in the methylation process, involvement in myelination and remyelination, and reversal of MS symptoms.

Method: Here, we discuss the role of vitamin B complex (B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12) in MS.

Results: The anti-inflammatory and re-myelinating attributes of vitamin B complex members are promising, despite limited clinical studies.

Conclusion: There is an urgent need for larger studies to determine the role of vitamin B supplementation alone, or in combination with other therapeutic agents, in prevention or reversal of MS, and aid in improved quality of life of MS patients.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: the rest of the B complex

Post by jimmylegs »

aha, full text pdf link
https://researchonline.nd.edu.au/cgi/vi ... th_article

will have to review and compare to klenner's rationale for the various b vits in his 1971 protocol