St. Michael's in Toronto

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
jackiejay
Family Elder

St. Michael's in Toronto

Post by jackiejay »

just wondering if any of the neurologists at the St. Michael's MS clinic are known to be interested in CCSVI?....
mavis
Family Member

Re: St. Michael's in Toronto

Post by mavis »

jackiejay wrote:just wondering if any of the neurologists at the St. Michael's MS clinic are known to be interested in CCSVI?....

Jackiejay, what exactly do you mean by "interested"? Dr. Selchen met with Dr. Hubbard and had an information session in order to understand CCSVI better. This was back in June I believe. Other than that I don't know.
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

from their website

By Leslie Shepherd

TORONTO, Ont., Oct. 3. 2011 - Studies that examined the possible link between vein blockages and multiple sclerosis are so inconsistent that it's impossible to reach a firm conclusion about the controversial theory, a new review has found.

Overall, the studies found the blockages known as chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency, or CCSVI, are found more often in people who have MS than those who do not.

But a team of researchers and physicians lead by Dr. Andreas Laupacis of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto said more research was needed.

Italian Dr. Paolo Zamboni has suggested that MS may be caused by blockages in the veins in the neck, causing iron deposition in the brain, which triggers an autoimmune reaction. He proposed that unblocking the veins by mechanically widening them improves the symptoms of MS.

Canadian researchers analyzed eight published studies carried out in the United States, Germany, Italy and Japan that used ultrasound to diagnose CCSVI and compared MS patients with non-MS patients.

They found the quality of the studies varied and there were large differences in the results. In general, the studies were small and had incomplete descriptions of the training of those conducting the ultrasounds. None of them reported the degree to which the people conducting the ultrasounds knew whether the subject was an MS patient. Some of the studies found no difference in the frequency of CCSVI between MS and non-MS patients while others found large differences.

When the results of all the studies were combined statistically, CCSVI was found more frequently in those with MS than those who did not have it.

The analysis of the studies was financed by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Portions of the study were published today in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

Dr. Laupacis, executive director of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's Hospital, said there is great controversy over whether CCSVI causes MS and people on both sides of the issue tend to focus on the research that supports their position and ignore research that supports the other. That's why his team conducted a review of all studies that met certain quality standards.

"The differences among published studies means we can't be definitive at the present time," said Dr. Laupacis, "The overall findings suggest that there may be an association between CCSVI and MS. However, the differences among study results and the poor quality of some of the studies means that more research still needs to be done."

Dr. Laupacis said even if CCSVI is found to be more common in MS patients, that doesn’t mean CCSVI causes MS; it may be that MS causes CCSVI.

The literature review involved researchers from St. Michael's, as well as the University of Toronto, the Schulich Heart Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, all in Toronto, and the University of Calgary.
jackiejay
Family Elder

Post by jackiejay »

I suppose by the word "interested" I mean is anyone there open to the CCSVI theory and willing to incorporate this into the way they treat their patients.......the subsequent posting on this subject has sort of answered my question....thanks.
tazbo
Family Member

Post by tazbo »

Not that I've experienced there. I asked my neuro there what he thought about it and he scrunched up his face distastefully and shook his head. He was maybe still upset with me for saying that I was going to stop avonex as after 2 years I'm getting worse and the sideeffects are not diminished after 2 years. Worst of all is the boss Dr. O'Connor who has worked very hard to undermine CCSVI and seems to have his own agenda. just m.h.o.
daniel
Family Elder

Post by daniel »

mavis wrote:
jackiejay wrote:just wondering if any of the neurologists at the St. Michael's MS clinic are known to be interested in CCSVI?....

Jackiejay, what exactly do you mean by "interested"? Dr. Selchen met with Dr. Hubbard and had an information session in order to understand CCSVI better. This was back in June I believe. Other than that I don't know.
Really glad to hear he was willing to meet with Dr. Hubbard to learn more. Dr. Selchen was (is?) my neuro and was very apprehensive about CCSVI when I first brought it up to him a couple years ago... story hadn't changed since last time I visited early this year (maybe January?). I've been outside the country since March enjoying my liberated veins and catching lots of natural vitamin D... sooo it's been a while since I've been back.
broomdancer
Family Member

Post by broomdancer »

My husband will be seeing Dr Hoho at St Mike's next Wed. Will report on the Dr's opinions...
broomdancer
Family Member

Post by broomdancer »

The Dr reported that 40 of her patients have had the treatment and most have reported improvements. She is well aware of the procedure and asked my husband if he has had follow up scans (next week in Barrie) and glad that he didnot have stents.. While she sees the need to wait until it's approved and cannot recommend it, she fully understands why people want to have this done asap. Infact, if she were in the same position she may have also taken the same risks...She understands the fustation people must feel journeying to the clinic knowing there is little to offer them and so, in a way, this is a validation without really going against the status-quo. It was the first time we felt a positive vive at the clinic... It has been 2 years since she had seen my husband and 18mos since his treatment, she said he was better when infact he should be a lot worse..
daniel
Family Elder

Post by daniel »

Thanks for the update broomdancer! Really glad to hear the positive feedback coming from St. Mike's (at least from one of the docs)

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”