Early MRI predicts 5-year response in MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Early MRI predicts 5-year response in MS

Post by MSUK »

MRI scans taken one year after starting disease-modifying therapy in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis were strongly predictive of outcomes after five years, an Italian researcher said here.

The nonresponder rate at five years was nearly twice as high among patients in a retrospective study whose one-year MRI scans showed more than two gadolinium-enhancing T1 lesions (32% versus 18%, P=0.009), according to Marzia Romeo, MD, of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.

Other significant early predictors of nonresponse in the 668-patient study included being a woman, having high disability scores, and having multifocal brain lesions, Romeo reported at the joint meeting of the European and American Committees for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1816
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Re: Early MRI predicts 5-year response in MS

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

thats ironic. My neuro at MRI year one said my ms is benign and it would be very mild in years to come. 4 years later im in a wheelchair and in constant pain...boy did he fuck up.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:thats ironic. My neuro at MRI year one said my ms is benign and it would be very mild in years to come. 4 years later im in a wheelchair and in constant pain...boy did he fuck up.

Sorry to hear that. :sad:

I know this doesn't help you but do you mind telling us what your approach was beyond any conventional medications. By this I mean did you smoke, change diet, take supplements?

The reason I ask is my Aunt was diagnosed in the mid 80's and her response was to sit inside from that point. She didn't do any of the dietary stuff and is now EDSS of 8-9. Very bad indeed :sad:

I cant help but think had she got out more etc she may have slowed progression - ironically her inlaws are Cypriot yet from diagnosis she never took advantage of all those winter sun holidays on tap
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

don't worry mrb - i have this funny feeling that greek's approach is about to get some important modifications! :D
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

mrbarlow wrote:
THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:thats ironic. My neuro at MRI year one said my ms is benign and it would be very mild in years to come. 4 years later im in a wheelchair and in constant pain...boy did he fuck up.

Sorry to hear that. :sad:

I know this doesn't help you but do you mind telling us what your approach was beyond any conventional medications. By this I mean did you smoke, change diet, take supplements?

The reason I ask is my Aunt was diagnosed in the mid 80's and her response was to sit inside from that point. She didn't do any of the dietary stuff and is now EDSS of 8-9. Very bad indeed :sad:

I cant help but think had she got out more etc she may have slowed progression - ironically her inlaws are Cypriot yet from diagnosis she never took advantage of all those winter sun holidays on tap

i guess I am a weird case. Heres just a few of the things i have done...

LDN
Major raw diet
Liberation
constant PT
ongoing hypno and meditation
rebiff
copaxone
major excercise
psychology
psychiatry
pray until there is no end
joint juice
montels vegetable juices
massage
accupuncture
5 years of supplementing with THe Center for Holistic Medicine
Rest
relax
stress
no stress
vacation and no vacation
Screened by Dr Burt-not a candidate
Neuro says my mris havent changed since day one. no hot lesions. nit a candidate for hard meds like chemo. cant even tolerate baclofen
never smoked
never drink (maybe i should)
maybe im too damn clean....

believe me I have been trying. maybe overtying? Hopefully Jimmylegs is going to straighten me out with some ideas in nutrition..

next week im crawling up a zebras ass and eating monkey shit. Im hoping one of those may help.
If not im going on a pizza only diet since all teh terry wahls kale has done nothing more than burn my bottom.
Last edited by THEGREEKFROMTHED on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

jimmylegs wrote:don't worry mrb - i have this funny feeling that greek's approach is about to get some important modifications! :D

counting on ya jimmy! no pressure
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Have you thought about trying Hookworm therapy?
Sunnee
Family Member

Post by Sunnee »

A bit provocative Mr. b, or is it supposed to be a funny

if so pardon my intrusion
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Not at all.

I started it in February with a top up in September. So far so good. I simply wondered whether Greek had given it any thought. If he has PPMS Auto Immune were offering 1st year for free.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

I would absolutely do hookworm. I thought it wasnt available in u.s.? I would also like to try goat serum but seems only a u.k. Thing?
Ps. Cant provoke nor offend me in any way. Plz im up for anything
Believe it or not that list is incomplete there are other things like steroids minocyclene chiro etc etc.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:I would absolutely do hookworm. I thought it wasnt available in u.s.? I would also like to try goat serum but seems only a u.k. Thing?
Believe it or not that list is incomplete there are other things like steroids minocyclene chiro etc etc.
Hookworm therapy is an off label treatment. Clinical trials are being run at Nottingham University but results won't be known until 2013. So far they have determined that low doses are safe. The only reliable supplier is Auto Immune Therapies - look up Jasper Lawrence. For combined Hookworm / whipworm therapy I paid $3900 and that includes top ups for the next 3 years.

Only side effects were a rash at the innoculation site on my arm. Productive cough for 3-4 days and slight flu like systems at about the 3 week mark.

Its one year since my acute ON attack and Id say Im fitter and healthier than I have been for 3-4 years with just some minor reminders (buzzing in hands and feet occasionally, on off itch, and occasional mild blurring in eye).
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:I would absolutely do hookworm. I thought it wasnt available in u.s.? I would also like to try goat serum but seems only a u.k. Thing?
Auto Immune Theray's are setting up a network in Canada to help with that problem for their many US Clients :wink: