oxybutynin

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
Maledicte
Family Member

oxybutynin

Post by Maledicte »

anyone been given this?

i urinate waaaay too much at night, which makes me extremely tired all day (which i urinate constantly then too)
I get up 4-5 am, go,and attempt to sleep 7-8 pm, but i'm up all night and this med is supposed to stop nighttime urination, but i haven't noticed a decrease, seem almost an increase
i'm so fatigued
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Maledictesjewels
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: oxybutynin

Post by CureOrBust »

I have not tried any drugs for it, but I go through phases where I wake up at night multiple times to urinate. What I have found helps are "mechanical" methods to help empty my bladder more thoroughly when I do go. The three which I use are:
1. I sit down and lean forward, while actually pressing on my stomach/bladder with my hands
2. I go to an open door, hold onto the door frame for stability and then jump up and down on the spot.
3. I have my last drink of any liquids before 8:30 at night.
Maledicte
Family Member

Post by Maledicte »

CureOrBust wrote:I have not tried any drugs for it, but I go through phases where I wake up at night multiple times to urinate. What I have found helps are "mechanical" methods to help empty my bladder more thoroughly when I do go. The three which I use are:
1. I sit down and lean forward, while actually pressing on my stomach/bladder with my hands
2. I go to an open door, hold onto the door frame for stability and then jump up and down on the spot.
3. I have my last drink of any liquids before 8:30 at night.

i stop drinking anything around 1pm, cept a sip of water at 6pm for valerian root and epitol

despite the little sip, I'm still up all night

it's so frustrating
Bear2
Family Member

Post by Bear2 »

Have you tried Inclinded Bed Therapy? Basically it involves raising the head of your bed 6 inches. This works for me. Before I started this about 1 year ago I was getting up 4-5 times every night to pee. About 1 week after I started this I stopped getting up. Most of time I get up once and some times only when I wake up in morning. It is cheap to do and involves no drugs. Search for IBT and you find lots of info here on this site or here: http://inclinedbedtherapy.com/
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

Hi

I used oxybutynin and found it made the problem worse, so I just stopped using it. We just raised our bed 4" and I get up once around 5 or 6. Raising the bed has also reduced my leg spasms which I think is also tied to bladder spasms and to make things even better my husband has pretty much stopped snoring.

All around a good move.
Bear2
Family Member

Post by Bear2 »

I started out at 4 inches and it helped with leg spasms but when I went to 6 inches it stopped the getting up 5-6 times a night to pee. The leg spasm was orginially stopped if I let my leg slide of side of bed for a few mins. I had forgotten having them previous to raising my bed.
Maledicte
Family Member

Post by Maledicte »

My bed doesn't raise (cheap mattress), and that.seems like it'd put more pressure
and make me go more often
If someone could tell.me how to get to a restroom w/o
having an accident heading there...

Its humiliating
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

We actually used car jack stands under the frame. It was a good way to try it temporarily. I have heard of people just putting blocks under the front legs, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just safe.

It does not seem like it should work, but it is the only thing that has helped. I also dream again and sleep for around 7 - 8 hours in a stretch. Prior to raising the bed, I would sleep maybe 3 or 4 hours at a time and also be up going to the bathroom around 3 times in that 3 or 4 hours.

This has been one of the more permanent, low cost, and safest things I have tried.
ljelome
Family Elder

Post by ljelome »

Dear Maledicte,

I used to have the same problem like u, frequent urinating at night. What i do to stop it is I drink alot of water (1,5 - 2 Ltr/day) since i wake up in the morning until 6 pm n i try to take the same amount of water within every hour. It helps to train ur bladder to urinate at the time it supposed to be.

To help u in emptying ur bladder is what CureOrBust said. I found squatting to be the best position for me.

If u're in a public area, i'd suggest u use adult tampons/diapers. I know how it feel to have an accident. Embarassing it is, but grateful too at least i can urinate. To strengthen ur pelvic muscles floor, u could do the Kegel exercise. It helps to make u have a better control to hold ur urine in.

Best wishes for u.
Warm regards,
Linda

|For the joy of the Lord is your strength | A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones| God always leads us to where we need to be, not where we want to be|

Return to “General Medications”